Ammonite Identification .

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I found a big boulder at the top of a mountain with what seemed to be shell fiber lines going around part of the outside, I hit it with the hammer and a few chunks fell apart. this is one piece and its in half because this is how it broke. the other piece I gave to some family and it is just the one solid piece of ammonite with the crystal formation . I believe it was the lower part of this piece. What I am looking for is a classification ... like what can I tell people I found ? is it rare ? I know a lot about gems and fossils but I still don't know what this is .. I believe it might be a harlequin resin opal formation or maybe even some form of ammolite I really have no idea! let me know thanks so much!

post-17721-0-11324200-1429991335_thumb.jpg

looks like an ammonite from a Pierre Shale Concretion? No idea about the mineral's identity

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Thank you everyone for looking and replying . I am around 90% sure its an ammonite . Which species and era are unknown , What I am hoping for is a rarity . Possibly the ammonite itself or even just the mineralization . I have yet to see something like this online in rough form and have no idea what it would look like cleaned and polished. I can post some more pictures of other things I have found and can share a little of the secrets with this special club :P

looks like an ammonite from a Pierre Shale Concretion? No idea about the mineral's identity

Yes, it is a piece of an ammonite, and it looks Cretaceous, but not from the Pierre Shale. There is no Pierre Sh ammonite with such big ribs. It looks more Metoicoceras from the Frontier Fm around here, which is Turonian in age. But this is from a mountaintop in Canada...

It has some of the original nacre on it (original shiny parts of the shell) but not quite ammolite. As far as I know, ammolite is a marketing scheme and applies only to pieces of nacre has been polished into jewelry, and it comes from only one mine in Alberta, where the preservation on Placenticeras is really good.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Yes, it is a piece of an ammonite, and it looks Cretaceous, but not from the Pierre Shale. There is no Pierre Sh ammonite with such big ribs. It looks more Metoicoceras from the Frontier Fm around here, which is Turonian in age. But this is from a mountaintop in Canada...

( I WILL ADMIT IT CLEARLY IS SHALE) From what mountain region I am not willing to give away quite yet.

It has some of the original nacre on it (original shiny parts of the shell) but not quite ammolite. As far as I know, ammolite is a marketing scheme and applies only to pieces of nacre has been polished into jewelry, and it comes from only one mine in Alberta, where the preservation on Placenticeras is really good.

(You are correct , It does have its original shell still but I am unsure if it's opalized or what exactly it is ... I have done tons of research on ammolite and it comes from two mines in Canada in the alberta region . It is also sold by the natives of the region . The companys work on the natives land and share part of the profit . I was wondering if this has been uncovered before or if anyone with experience could really explain to me with just seeing it ... It was one of my first finds and it really got me into fossils and gemstones/minerals.

Could anyone explain how I add pictures to this same topic or should I make a new one with all the pictures?

to add more pix, click on the box at the bottom right of this reply section that says "More Reply Options" . The originanl shell is probably not opalized. Nacre and opal are two different things that both produce a similar colorful effect. You are wondering if WHAT has been uncovered before? The tale you told about ammolite, or an ammonite such as yours?

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

to add more pix, click on the box at the bottom right of this reply section that says "More Reply Options" . The originanl shell is probably not opalized. Nacre and opal are two different things that both produce a similar colorful effect. You are wondering if WHAT has been uncovered before? The tale you told about ammolite, or an ammonite such as yours?

Thank you for the picture help . hahaha of course my ammonite ... The tale I told is true ... ive researched it , ammolite is usually found 30 feet below ground , Ive contacted the company and they have sent me info and videos on how they extract the fossils its pretty cool , I don't believe its ammolite but I do see a few spots of crazy colors and I wonder what it is or if there is a very specific layer inside this that is ammolite or an unknown nacre deposit ... but yes I want to name this if it hasn't been found yet! :P

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Found all these fossils except the peacock copper and the ring isn't a fossil but I thought it was cool :PP

post-17721-0-00525600-1430195789_thumb.png

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Some very interesting plant that I have pulled out of sheets of shale , still intact I have little to no idea what this could be ... plant or animal ? you tell me !

post-17721-0-11439100-1430195886_thumb.png

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

ALMOST FORGOT! THIS IS THE OTHER PEICE OF THE AMMONITE! I gave this piece to my uncle from where I got a hint too look in an area :)

post-17721-0-49009800-1430195970_thumb.png

Thank you for the picture help . hahaha of course my ammonite ... The tale I told is true ... ive researched it , ammolite is usually found 30 feet below ground , Ive contacted the company and they have sent me info and videos on how they extract the fossils its pretty cool , I don't believe its ammolite but I do see a few spots of crazy colors and I wonder what it is or if there is a very specific layer inside this that is ammolite or an unknown nacre deposit ... but yes I want to name this if it hasn't been found yet! :P

What you have here is an unknown nacre deposit. It is only unknown because you haven't told us where it is. And I don't blame you, but you should know that there are hundreds of publications on ammonites of Canada, many of those from BC, which is where I assume it is from based on the out focus licence plate. Anyway, without knowing what has been described by paleontologists and geologists, you can't just assume this is an unknown deposit. Keep in mind also that many ammonite sites do preserve actual shell (=nacre), which is what the crazy colors you are seeing are.

PS.. can you get us better pix of the vertebrae? Closer and not so dark, please, so we can try to tell you what you've got.

... but yes I want to name this if it hasn't been found yet! :P

It wouldn't necessarily be that easy, even for someone familiar with Canadian cretaceous deposits, to be able to identify your find exactly, since you only have a few bits of the outer whorls, or living chamber to show. If you're not able to get any further information here, then I'd suggest taking the pieces along with the associated fauna to a museum like the Royal Tyrell in Drumheller where they could probably help you further. I can understand your urge for secrecy at this point, but you're only going to be able to get down to the facts when you get some expert advice. Or is there a fossilers club in your area? I would also advise you to bone up on the rules and guidelines that apply to removing fossils and minerals in your province. As I understand it, at least Alberta can be somewhat stringent when it comes to rare finds.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Just going to work I'll update everyone tonight , of course there are probably more of these out there I was just hoping maybe I pulled a first out of the ground , highly u likely it's only because I have yet to see what I have here and probably because of the deep classification of ammonites .

I will admit it's Burgess Shale . I believe that's it's correct spelling , so yes the mountain ranges of British Columbia . I can post more pics and better pics , I've sat on this peice of art for a year now quietly and I can't keep it a secret anymore ! I must get this figures out :P . I live in Ontario at the moment and I was loving in bc for the greater part of last year , I did research rules and laws regarding fossils and minerals , it mostly has to deal with private land and the size or type of find . I have successfully transported them out of province and I do not ever plan to sell my collection only preserve and make it better!

You would never find ammonites or vertebrates in the Burgess Shale, so you'll need to do some more research. Take your finds to the ROM and show them. Don't worry, they won't take them away from you and I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions. I don't mean to disappoint you, but although the finds are nice, they really aren't anything extraordinary.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived