Ammonite Identification .

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Damesites are an extinct genus of ammonite.

What diagnostic features do you use to arrive at the conclusion that this is a Damesites?

post-423-0-29005200-1430403878_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Heres some better pics my uncle sent of the largest vertebrae .

This is not a vertebra, or bone of any kind.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

What diagnostic features do you use to arrive at the conclusion that this is a Damesites?

attachicon.gif~.jpg

The specific clockwise formation , I do not know anything about snails or whome was speaking of , I do however have a great gut for these things . I see a wonderful little piece of nacre on top and the ring just gives it away . I do wonder why it's colorless but I believe it must've been a very simple crustacean. Either way it could just be nothing ? right ? :P! Ill send a picture of the nacre piece ! here is a link to a website with a almost similar design . It's in French sorry!

http://www.paleotheque.fr/cephalopodes/fiche.php?id=97

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Im learning as I go , and Ive heard the best way to learn is to teach , If I teach people something I don't even know maybe ill learn it twice as good? :D

... I do not know anything about snails or whome was speaking of , I do however have a great gut for these things...

Ammonites have chambers, snails do not.

post-423-0-41418500-1430408149_thumb.jpg

Your cross section is a snail.

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

Can I ask you if damesites had chambers ? Also Do baby ammonites still have chambers ? or are they not developed ? ahahhaa im just throwing it out there you never know or do you ?:P

Can I ask you if damesites had chambers ? Also Do baby ammonites still have chambers ? or are they not developed ? ahahhaa im just throwing it out there you never know or do you ? :P

All ammonites have chambers (even small ones); Damosites were ammonites, ergo Damosites have chambers.

could you give a rough estimate to age of this fossil piece

Cretaceous, probably, but without knowing the geology of the site, it is not possible to be more specific.

I agree with Auspex. You've got a cross section of a gastropod in your piece of ammonite. And the Inoceramus bivalve that you have shown points to a cretaceous age. Can't say much more than that though based on the evidence you've shown so far. I don't think that the ammonite is a Damesites, though, since they have finer ribs on the outer whorls. It could be one of a good number of cretaceous ammonites which have this type of sculpture. Here's a website showing lots of them. Just click through the Chronarium from Maastrichtien to Berriasien and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.ammonites.fr/cretasup.htm

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I agree with Auspex. You've got a cross section of a gastropod in your piece of ammonite. And the Inoceramus bivalve that you have shown points to a cretaceous age. Can't say much more than that though based on the evidence you've shown so far. I don't think that the ammonite is a Damesites, though, since they have finer ribs on the outer whorls. It could be one of a good number of cretaceous ammonites which have this type of sculpture. Here's a website showing lots of them. Just click through the Chronarium from Maastrichtien to Berriasien and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.ammonites.fr/cretasup.htm

I know the ammonite isn't damesites I said the ltitle thing might be because it looked like one . I just didn't want it to be just some snail... lol :P . I don't relaly know what youre getting at after that but the little shell on the ltitle guy points me in another direction sorry for my spelling

I was just suggesting that you check through the photos of all of the ammonites on that website that have rib patterns similar to your ammonite piece so that you can see for yourself how difficult it could be to determine its generic name, let alone the species. If you know that the ammonite isn't a Damesites, then why did you suggest that it could be in the first place? I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time here.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I understand but you are just confused . I don't know who said it was a snail but I would prefer it be a baby ammonite but I guess it's some kind if snail with a nacre ? That's what I was called a damesites ammonite , not the large crystallized piece

• 4 months later...

I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I could have helped avoid all the back and forth. The Cret. fossils are from my usual site, Mt Tzuhalem. Nobody's secret! The ammonite in the first posts looks to be a chunk of Eupachydiscus. There is an Acila shumardi (bivalve) in one photo, which I have already ID'd in the poster's other thread, along with what Fossildude19 has correctly labeled 'cephalopod' - a piece of a paperclip-shaped heteromorphic ammonite which I don't have a name for yet and is not too common there or anywhere, fyi!

As for the vertebrae, I'd need a better photo of the group. I have found ONE vertebra up there in my 7 years of collecting that site, so it's unlikely but not impossible to find one, but these are more likely either pieces of 1) burrows, 2) concretions, or 3) geothermal conduits(?).

The photo with the single item with the knobs on it, I don't know what that is but I don't think it's a fossil. It'll be one of the 3 things I mentioned. These types of things are all over the place up there and I think the ones that have small pyrite xls in them have to do with geothermal activity. There are also trace fossils (burrows) and irregular concretions of all shapes and sizes, and the variability can make it difficult to distinguish one from another, and some may be combinations of more than one of these! (eg. fossils can occur inside concretions, and concretionary lumps can occur attached to but not fully covering a fossil or a burrow).

Edited by Wrangellian

somewhat similar fossilization as the ammonite. found near the same location .

This one looks like an Inoceramus.

another picture of the shell . this is what caught my eye on the ammonite . the fibers going around the outside . I seen it on the larger rock I hit apart

This is also a piece of Inoceramus shell. The shells could grow to be ~1 meter in diameter. I believe the fibrous structure is original to the shell, not an artifact of preservation/alteration, as I have found pieces that were broken apart and buried, then lithified, leaving the fibrous impressions in the matrix where the pieces have fallen out.

puts the previous picture in perspective and the last picture is a baby ammonite within this ammonite fossil ?

I agree with jpc this is probably a snail, but I will say that the sutures are not always evident in an ammonite that has been sliced or cleaved - I found this one up there, naturally split apart, which is clearly an ammonite (Damesites) but shows little to no sign of sutures/chamber walls except perhaps at the very center, but if so they are small and not well preserved - It is a small specimen and the chamber walls would have been fine and delicate at that scale anyway so it's hard to see what's going on there):

post-4372-0-83827200-1442897544_thumb.jpg

All ammonites and nautiloids have sutures/chambers, so there must be something about the preservation up there. Maybe this is one of those items whose one whole side was dissolved away before lithification, like many up there.

Edited by Wrangellian

Guest GemstoneAndFossil

I cannot thank you enough , You are very knowledgeable on this location , I cannot wait to be back on the island , maybe I will meet you one day . From across the country I thank you again!