Large And/or Unusual Teeth?

Haizahnjager

Happy New Year everyone! I pose a challenge to every fossil tooth collector on this forum. Post a tooth that is rather large or unusual for it's type(i.e. exhibiting pathology, rare coloration, etc.). I will start the party.

The only real "flaw" on this tooth is on the lingual side of the root. It looks as though the shark bit it's own tooth, possibly as it was losing it. Flaw or no flaw, I think this is a nice quality specimen of large size.

I will be very interested to see what everyone else posts and will continue posting my own finds. I apologize in advance if this thread has been already started.

Species: Isurus desori

Size: 2.875 inches

Formation: Chandler Bridge

post-162-1199208459_thumb.jpg

post-162-1199208488_thumb.jpg

post-162-1199208497_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Happy New Year everyone! I pose a challenge to every fossil tooth collector on this forum. Post a tooth that is rather large or unusual for it's type(i.e. exhibiting pathology, rare coloration, etc.). I will start the party.

The only real "flaw" on this tooth is on the lingual side of the root. It looks as though the shark bit it's own tooth, possibly as it was losing it. Flaw or no flaw, I think this is a nice quality specimen of large size.

I will be very interested to see what everyone else posts and will continue posting my own finds. I apologize in advance if this thread has been already started.

Species: Isurus desori

Size: 2.875 inches

Formation: Chandler Bridge

Might not it be that the tooth was infected?

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I wouldn't call that a flaw, and that is a huge tooth man I would love to find one of those.

Might not it be that the tooth was infected?

The cut looks pretty clean Mike, it's not pitted or anything.

That I.desori is an absolute monster :o . My album in the gallery "unusual shark teeth" has these three and more in it. Have a look and tell me what you think.

post-77-1199236356_thumb.jpg

post-77-1199236393_thumb.jpg

post-77-1199236467_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

NS, those are some AWESOME teeth!!! I have personally found about 30 Carcharoides (all from SC), but I believe every single one of them is a catticus. Thank you very much for sharing those teeth and making me drool!

-Rob C.

Fantastic teeth and I don't have any really huge ones but I do have a rare one so I will include it here.

It's the schizorhea that I found while living in Arkansas on the banks of the Ouachita River. It is one of my favorites. I almost didn't post it on the CA forum for an ID (in the past) because I decided it wasn't a tooth. Sure glad I did.

post-13-1199376428_thumb.jpg

It is the two almost dead center

Welcome to the forum!

The cut looks pretty clean Mike, it's not pitted or anything.

The resoulation is not good on my TV, but on the back side of the tooth between the root & blade that area doesn't look normal to me.

This is considered a large specimen. I have posted it before, but haven't had anyone give me an positive I.D. on it, as to the formation it may be from. I know it's Megalodon & It is "suppose" to have come from the Green River in South Carolina. I know that color is suppose to be able to tell you the formation it's from, as different formations have different type of mineraIs which produce the various colors. I have this one listed on the for sale forum with more photos. If any of you South Carolina folks are familar with megs from there, please add your comments & enlighten me. :)

post-15-1199383924_thumb.jpg

post-15-1199384031_thumb.jpg

post-15-1199384148_thumb.jpg

post-15-1199384226_thumb.jpg

post-15-1199384307_thumb.jpg

Fantastic teeth and I don't have any really huge ones but I do have a rare one so I will include it here.

It's the schizorhea that I found while living in Arkansas on the banks of the Ouachita River. It is one of my favorites. I almost didn't post it on the CA forum for an ID (in the past) because I decided it wasn't a tooth. Sure glad I did.

Looks like some interesting teeth there, Roz! Can you post a larger image so that we can see some details? What is the full name of the shark you're highlighting?

--------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Looks like some interesting teeth there, Roz! Can you post a larger image so that we can see some details? What is the full name of the shark you're highlighting?

--------Harry Pristis

Well, I think it is the fish, Schizorhiza stromi

Here is another closeup pic.post-13-1199390697_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

This is considered a large specimen. I have posted it before, but haven't had anyone give me an positive I.D. on it, as to the formation it may be from. I know it's Megalodon & It is "suppose" to have come from the Green River in South Carolina. I know that color is suppose to be able to tell you the formation it's from, as different formations have different type of mineraIs which produce the various colors. I have this one listed on the for sale forum with more photos. If any of you South Carolina folks are familar with megs from there, please add your comments & enlighten me. :)

WOW Mike, all these HUGE teeth

and you others also, you need to give a drool warning :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

WOW Mike, all these HUGE teeth

and you others also, you need to give a drool warning :lol:

Size isn't everything in fossils. I love those fish teeth of yours. I had some like it & didn't know what they were for years. They are neat! :cool:

Roz, those are very cool teeth! :D

Thanks, Anson. The rostral teeth I have found are some of my favorites and

the nurse shark (more common, but I have only found one ever)

I love all the teeth I find, have a fascination with them the same with echinoids, ammonites,

bone..dang, guess I like all fossils! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Size isn't everything in fossils. I love those fish teeth of yours. I had some like it & didn't know what they were for years. They are neat! :cool:

Yes, I agree with you but I would still like to find a giant tooth one day. I think they are so awesome.

Yes, I see why you didn't recognize your schizorhiza teeth. They are not very standard teeth-looking.

Welcome to the forum!

Well, I think it is the fish, Schizorhiza stromi

Here is another closeup pic.post-13-1199390697_thumb.jpg

Too cool for words! Thanks for the image, Roz.

These are rare teeth, indeed. The specimens used to illustrate Welton & Farish's book on Texas sharks and rays are from another paper. Here's what they say:

Dunkle (1948) reported on the occurrence of a rostral tooth of Schizorhiza cf. weileri Serra 1933 in the Escondido Formation, Maverick County [Texas]. Rostral teeth of this genus are known only from isolated teeth, and the type species, S. stromeri Weiler 1930, was described from the Late Cretaceous of Egypt. Dunkle considered the rostral tooth from Texas to be more closely comparable with S. weileri Serra 1933....

Sooo....If we can assume that your Arkansas teeth are more closely related to the Texas teeth than to the Egyptian teeth, here's a label for your specimens:

Order RAJIFORMES Berg 1940

Family SCLERORHYNCHIDAE Cappetta 1974

Genus Schizorhiza Weiler 1930

Schizorhiza cf. weileri Serra 1933

Late Cretaceous (Maestrichtian)

Nice finds!

-----Harry Pristis

What seest thou else

Too cool for words! Thanks for the image, Roz.

These are rare teeth, indeed. The specimens used to illustrate Welton & Farish's book on Texas sharks and rays uses illustrations from another paper. Here's what they say:

Dunkle (1948) reported on the occurrence of a rostral tooth of Schizorhiza cf. weileri Serra 1933 in the Escondido Formation, Maverick County [Texas]. Rostral teeth of this genus are known only from isolated teeth, and the type species, S. stromeri Weiler 1930, was described from the Late Cretaceous of Egypt. Dunkle considered the rostral tooth from Texas to be more closely comparable with S. weileri Serra 1933....

Sooo....If we can assume that your Arkansas teeth are more closely related to the Texas teeth than to the Egyptian teeth, here's a label for your specimens:

Order RAJIFORMES Berg 1940

Family SCLERORHYNCHIDAE Cappetta 1974

Genus Schizorhiza Weiler 1930

Schizorhiza cf. weileri Serra 1933

Late Cretaceous (Maestrichtian)

Nice finds!

-----Harry Pristis

WOW, thanks for that ID cause I can copy and paste it and put it with the teeth!

You made my day! YIPPEE :D Harry, if you ever find yourself heading in the Malvern,

Arkansas area, let me know and I can guide you to the spot.

Welcome to the forum!

WOW, thanks for that ID cause I can copy and paste it and put it with the teeth!

You made my day! YIPPEE :D Harry, if you ever find yourself heading in the Malvern,

Arkansas area, let me know and I can guide you to the spot.

Good deal, Roz! :)

What seest thou else

• 10 years later...
On January 3, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Roz said:

Just in case someone is looking for posts about this sawfish, I am bumping this thread it with the correct spelling, Schizorhiza.  This is a sawfish better known from Morocco and Niger (presumably other parts of Africa as well).

Wow, somebody has been digging in the archives. The last post was from 10 years ago.  

Always great to revive with new input. :)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ill throw in my two cents just to revive this topic a bit. Here's a unique shark tooth from Lee Creek, NC. It looks pretty normal; serrations are nice, color is a cool blue. But the root is missing. I had to do a double take when I recovered this from the matrix. 

Does anybody know what may have caused this? 

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

On 7/24/2018 at 4:10 AM, Bone guy said:

Ill throw in my two cents just to revive this topic a bit. Here's a unique shark tooth from Lee Creek, NC. It looks pretty normal; serrations are nice, color is a cool blue. But the root is missing. I had to do a double take when I recovered this from the matrix. 

Does anybody know what may have caused this? 

The root seems undeveloped rather than broken, so this might be a tooth from the back tooth rows

The Tooth Fairy

Here is my favourite tooth pathology - ?Striatolamia crown with split main cusp from Kyiv Eocene. Although various pathologies are not very rare - bent or too compressed cusps or roots, this type of abnormalities is much rarer - it is my only specimen.

patho.thumb.jpg.8183be8245263226ef15ef32aa0de69d.jpg

The Tooth Fairy