Large And/or Unusual Teeth?

Haizahnjager

On 7/23/2018 at 6:10 PM, Bone guy said:

Ill throw in my two cents just to revive this topic a bit. Here's a unique shark tooth from Lee Creek, NC. It looks pretty normal; serrations are nice, color is a cool blue. But the root is missing. I had to do a double take when I recovered this from the matrix. 

Does anybody know what may have caused this? 

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

The root is likely just rotted away, separated from the enamel. It also happens when the root shrinks, same result.  

We find many shark teeth like this in STH deposits.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 7/23/2018 at 5:07 PM, siteseer said:

Just in case someone is looking for posts about this sawfish, I am bumping this thread it with the correct spelling, Schizorhiza.  This is a sawfish better known from Morocco and Niger (presumably other parts of Africa as well).

Uh oh.  I just went through this thread again and noticed something I overlooked last week.  Harry had already commented on it with more background.  He deserves an "informative" for that one and I deserve an extra half-hour after school to pick up my reading comprehension.  I'm glad I bumped the thread, though.  It's a good spot to show some oddball teeth.

Jess

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

On 24/07/2018 at 3:10 AM, Bone guy said:

Ill throw in my two cents just to revive this topic a bit. Here's a unique shark tooth from Lee Creek, NC. It looks pretty normal; serrations are nice, color is a cool blue. But the root is missing. I had to do a double take when I recovered this from the matrix. 

Does anybody know what may have caused this? 

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1050.JPG

In recent shark jaws we can see that the last rows of teeth still have no made roots. For me it is about a not yet totally formed tooth, it was situated on a not visible row on the alive shark. On the fresh jaw of a current shark, we see some rows of teeth, those which are of use to it to seize its preys, but behind jaws, the last rows are hidden under a gingival tissue because they are in formation. It is under this part of skin that these not formed teeth are situated.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg