South East Asian Proboscidean Tooth - A Gomphothere?

AJ Plai

This tooth most likely came from the Khorat Plateau of Thailand which seem to find abundance of Gomphothere teeth there. Although this tooth seem to look a little different than the usual Gomphothere tooth I see, so could it be a from different creature or simply a variation of the tooth or preservation state that make it looks a little different from what I am used to, what do u guys think?

post-10857-0-19015400-1430070274_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-38984400-1430070371_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-49824100-1430070653_thumb.jpg

Thx :)

Sorry I can't help with Id, but that is a nice tooth!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I don't know much about probiscideans but that looks like Stegodon teeth I've seen before from Java. I think they are known from Burma too.

This tooth most likely came from the Khorat Plateau of Thailand which seem to find abundance of Gomphothere teeth there. Although this tooth seem to look a little different than the usual Gomphothere tooth I see, so could it be a from different creature or simply a variation of the tooth or preservation state that make it looks a little different from what I am used to, what do u guys think?

I don't know much about probiscideans but that looks like Stegodon teeth I've seen before from Java. I think they are known from Burma too.

Yeah, the top 3 ridges does seem to resemble Stegodon's tooth feature but the bottom 3 rides seem to look a little bit like a worn Gomphothere tooth humps so I am at a lost. I usually only see a Gomphothere tooth from around here with double humps on each ridge but this one just doesn't fit the usual feature I am used to seeing so it's a little puzzling.