Sign in to follow this  
Rebcass

Fossil Hunting For Amateurs Near Williamsburg

Rebcass

Hello! We are from Pittsburgh, planning a trip to Williamsburg area in early June. Have heard a little about fossilized shark teeth and would love to do some exploring with our five year old who is getting very interested in the topic. At this stage, the simplest things impress him (and us). Anybody have suggestions as to where we might find some fossils and have a nice family adventure? I am a bit nervous about all of the warnings around private property in Virginia.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Auspex

York River State Park is a good bet: LINK

Fossil collecting is allowed on their 'fossil beach', and it is eminently kid-friendly.

dshamilla

I take it you are headed for Williamsburg, Va and not Williamsburg, PA. If you are visiting Colonial Williamsburg, there is an easy to get to fossil collecting area (Miocene) which is in a stream just outside the Colony. If you are exiting the Colonial area, turn right on 132 Y (towards 132 North) and off to your right as you start the merge into 132 find a safe area to park. The stream is in a treed area at the following Universal Transverse Mercator coordinates [18S 349161.89 4127404.64]. Found good sections of the coral Astrhelid, the barnacle Balanus and an excellent large Echphora quadricoststa among others in the creek bed. These were collected about 30 years ago so I am not sure of the current situation there, but it currently looks good on Google Earth. Enjoy.

Rebcass

Thank you! That is wonderful information dshamilla and auspex. Really appreciate your help!

cck

you can also take the ferry across the James River at Jamestown (its free and fun for kids) and hit the small beach at Chipokes Plantation for large fossil scallops and other goodies. The park is about ten miles or so from the ferry, if I remember correctly. Have fun.

matgerke

There is an extended discussion about fossil hunting just outside Williamsburg itself here: