Found This In Florida In A Spring

megha007jones

hey guys

just found this and it looks like a small tusk. at first i thought it was a part of a showel or an old gas can spout. but it is not metal. it has hole in big end that tapers down to nothing about 3 inches in and it is broken on other end. found it near a spot were i also found 2 broken hatchet heads. i found the pencil later, it is a number 2.

thanks for any help

post-18249-0-99024400-1430161796_thumb.jpg

SCHREGER LINES.

Take pictures of both ends, please.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Are there any fine cross-hatching lines visible?

post-423-0-59273700-1430268601_thumb.jpg

elepschr.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The University of Florida has a fossil identification service. https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/vertpaleo/amateur-collector/fossil-id/

You might follow the instructions and send your photos of this find. You should also take a closeup photo of the 1st photo with the pencil, to give a better view of grain (or lack thereof) of the long outside edge.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Neat. From your recent pics, it looks more like a horn than anything.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Looks like a lower mastodon tusk to me. Complete tusks have hollow proximal ends and worn distal ends.

thanks guys. I send some pictures to UF last night.

They have found several mastodon bones in this spring before.

here is the full size picture. you can zoom in at photo bucket.

DSC_0022.jpg

Hornsby spring High Springs Florida it is a private spring and they don't allow diving or snorkeling if that's what you're thinking

no worries just didn't want people to start showing up with tanks. we have enough trouble running cave divers out.

thanks for the link

I talked to a fella years back and he told me about a small museum that was packed with all kinds of fossils and artifacts around the head of that spring that burnt down many years ago and they pushed all of it into the spring. I live really close to it and have been there many times.Like you said they do not allow diving in the springs.

post-23-0-49542100-1430529184_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Archived