More Plant Material. Likely Pennsylvanian (Cordaites?)

JimTh

Found a new site, I think it's Pennsylvanian, no documentation on it. Thoughts?

E4A3208A-AE09-4648-8663-729DFD0F4000_zps

EDF212EC-80D5-448A-86DB-605F2F77CF56_zps

F54EF41C-76AD-4E52-9E82-501DBA3BB6C6_zps

73F59922-08C5-4349-A81D-B7003E1471B6_zps

Edited by JimTh

They look sort of like Bergeria, but I won't put any money on it. I would say Penn. also.

There is a nice .pdf file of Fossil Plants of Indiana, free for download from the Indiana Geological Survey.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think the 3rd is a partial Cordaites leaf; the 1st and 4th may be decorticated Cordaites limbs/trunks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:popcorn:

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks, Auspex! After your post, I found an old thread on this forum about Cordaites. My first picture looks a lot like some of the posted pictures in that thread. I did find another website that had a picture that matched my 2nd. It was described as Cordaites and was about 12" by 12", but not specific about what part. Is the second one bark?

... Is the second one bark?

The repeating diagonal pattern is suggestive of a Lycopsid, which have a habit of de-layering and showing many different aspects.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!