Is This Mosasaur Fossil Real?

Wellnhoferia

Is this mosasaur fossil real or fake in your opinions?

post-423-0-49470700-1430487575_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-80063100-1430487588_thumb.jpg

EDIT: Linking to seller's site not permitted; images added

Edited by Auspex

Well I don't deal with that stuff but that second one looks like some fixing involved.

Jaw looks to be real though.

Jeff

Seller is really not giving you a good look at the tooth sockets, why probably because they are fake and teeth have been added. I would pass.

Edited by Troodon

Both have the right shape. And the bone on the jaws looks real enough. Though it almost looks like the bone of the top image is a cast of a real jaw. There seems to be some weird "casting artefacts" on the left and the colouring looks a little flat. Between the tooth crowns and the jaw the connection does look a bit fishy and too smooth.

I would say the second jaw looks less suspicious. But again the sockets of the teeth are unclear so it's hard to tell if it's real.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Glad to see you made it onto here (I'm DinoLord from DTF). I agree with the other posters that the sockets are rather suspect. I would recommend asking for more photos; if the dealer has nothing to hide then they should oblige.

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately be needing extra pictures to be sure

From what I see now, I think the crowns of the teeth on both species are 'glued' onto the pieces with whitish resin, you can see traces on the teeth. Also, the left globidens tooth misses it muchroom-like form (too much resin?)

. I'm not world's biggest expert in these things, but I do trade in them and had quite a few through my hands..