Mounting Teeth In A Hanging Display. Is Blu-Tack Safe?

Too Many Choices

Hot glue would work. It would peel right off of the fossil. But it may wrip the paper backing of the box if you wanted to take it off.

I would suggest placing a small spacer behind each tooth, so it really looks like they're floating.

Good luck.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I've used blu-tac and found that over a period of time it hardens and looses its grip. I caution you in the use of hot glue. Some theropod teeth have very fragile enamel and you may pull it off when you want to remove the tooth but it will work. Depending how thick your frame may be you may just want to glue a ledge to backing and set the teeth on the ledge using blu-tac.

• I found this Informative 1

I have heard of certain types of tack leaving discoloration. The way my family displays teeth and artifacts is with a shadow box with foam in the back. The foam gently presses the tooth against the glass and keeps it there.

Here is a picture of a display of some teeth I have. No adhesive is needed. The foam batting in the back of the box gently holds the teeth in place. This saves any risk of discoloration and when you want to change the display you don't need to remove any adhesive.

post-13111-0-79700900-1430571362_thumb.jpg

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Blu tack will eventually leave a stain... That has been my experience. It stains the walls, even.

Thanks everyone! I ended up cutting some polystyrene squares, around 2cm thick, and pushing them into the individual display square, then I roughly cut around the teeth and pushed them gently in so they're nice and secure. Doesn't look perfect but for $4 it's turned into a nice little display case!

I'll put some photos up tomorrow.

Blu tack leaves stains, but what about actual mineral tack? I've been looking for a similar solution...would mineral tack stain in the same way?

Try Museum Wax. It doesn't stain, but I still would not rely on just it for support...Mr. Gravity is unrelenting.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Blue tack has oil in it, so it eventually damages things, some polystyrene foams give off fumes so eventually damage things, almost whatever you use risks damage. Check with your local museum about what is available in your area, I tend to use something called Plastazote because it is fairly inert, but I don't know if it's available in your part of the world.

Holt melt glue is not difficult or destructive to remove . . . if you warm it first. Use a hair blow-drier on low heat and be patient.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Holt melt glue is not difficult or destructive to remove . . . if you warm it first. Use a hair blow-drier on low heat and be patient.

That is a very useful tip; thanks!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here it is, as I said, not perfect, but still nice and super easy to change. The frame itself I picked up from an op shop for a few dollars, it was a horrible teal coloured, tacky beach house thing, it had a little boat in one square, some shells in another, that sort of snarge. Much nicer now :D

60926b3c-40a7-4fbb-a0c2-64f1c7110b99_zps

For scale, the spinosaurid tooth is around 3". I might add, if you're looking for this sort of thing, go to op-shops! They had a fair few different ones there, perfect for displays!

Edited by Too Many Choices

Translating for Americans... an op shop is a second hand store.

Looks great. You might want to try to get some polyethylene foam for the next one. More stable and MUCH easier to work with. Furntiure is often packed using pieces of polyethylene foam glued to cardboard. Ask your local furniture store if they have any theyare throwong out. Google the stuff to get a visual.

Edited by jpc