Shark Tooth Trip

kaleb

I went out this afternoon in search for some sharks teeth and had my best trip to date. I started on the island I normally look on and found numerous teeth average size for what i find on there nothin special but I did find a croc tooth Ill post a comparison pic of the other i found last weekend on the fossil id thread but here is a pic of the one i found today. But first here is everything I found

DSC03825.jpg

Here is the croc tooth

DSC03842.jpg

After looking on that island for a while i ventured up river to 2 other islands I had only tried once. I had seen a guy leaving that island in the psat and asked him if he had found anything and he showed me a nice tooth and said on those 2 islands you dont find alot but when you do they are usually bigger. so here are the teeth i found on those islands.

DSC03843.jpg

I also found what looks like a tail of some type of lobster type creature maybe one of you could tell me what it is.

DSC03844.jpg

DSC03845.jpg

And last but not least I found what looks to be a rib bone maybe some of you could identify that as well.

DSC03848.jpg

DSC03849.jpg

Well thats it for me Im fishing tommorow so i will probably get back out next weekend.

The "lobster tail" looks like a nautiloid of some sort. Purdy cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks guys does anyone know what the bigger teeth might be

Is it my lousy laptop screen, or is the middle one serrated?

If so, it looks like a Carcharocles angustidens!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Is it my lousy laptop screen, or is the middle one serrated?

If so, it looks like a Carcharocles angustidens!

yep the middle one is serrated

yep the middle one is serrated

Yes-no-maybe?

post-423-1237084779_thumb.jpg

The "lobster tail" is indeed not a crustacean but rather a nautiloid, and a nice one. Is this eocene, miocene, what?
Very nice finds!

The "lobster tail" is indeed not a crustacean but rather a nautiloid, and a nice one. Is this eocene, miocene, what?

Very nice finds!

I dont know what eocene or miocene means but i found it on a dredge island in the middle of a river

I dont know what eocene or miocene means but i found it on a dredge island in the middle of a river

Geo/Paleo speak for how old they are. The geologic time scale is divided into increasingly smaller units:

post-423-1237298082_thumb.jpg

Geo/Paleo speak for how old they are. The geologic time scale is divided into increasingly smaller units:

cool thanks I dont know which it would be from Im not sure how to tell the age

cool thanks I dont know which it would be from Im not sure how to tell the age

Judging by your finds and what i know about the area you are collecting Eocene and Cretaceous material. There are a few sites right by Wilmington that i collect that have these same deposits. The nautiloid probably a Eutrephoceras Carolinensis and some of the shark teeth give away the Eocene and the mosasaur gives away the Cretaceous.

There are quarries in that area where the Eocene Castle Hayne limestone is mined for concrete and gravel. I have found similar nautiloids in two of those quarries.