How Old Is This Petrified Tree Stump I Found?

EnglishGrace

Hello.
On my stretch of the Northumberland coast in England I have found evidence of petrified trees, such as this stump. I can find no information about them online in my location, so please could you tell me (based on this stump) when would it have been a living tree and probably what type of tree? At various points along the coast the remains are usually within grey mudrock or grainy sandstone, but this stump is in hard solid rock (I don't know of what type; maybe of silt as it's not visibly grainy). What would the environment have been like here when this tree was alive? Anything extra you can tell me specifically about this tree/stump in the context of my location would be gratefully received; I need as much info as possible, so any further sources of location specific help you could point me towards would be fantastic. Thank you very much.

post-18302-0-30491800-1430674945_thumb.jpg

Your trees are remnants from the Carboniferous 'coal swamps', and are about 310 million years old.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived