Finally, I Found My First "insect".....but It's Not What I Expected......

fossilized6s

It was only a matter of time, i guess. I finally found my first Mazon Creek "insect"! I found this nodule at pit 11 south unit in the essex fauna. Finding this there is a bit strange, i would have more expected it from the Braidwood fauna.

I wish there was more of it. But beggars can't be choosers, right? Haha

Euphoberia sp. (Spiny Millipede)

post-14584-0-09797300-1431071406_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-71024300-1431071418_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-49622800-1431071431_thumb.jpg

It's not the best looking chap in the bunch, but it's a welcomed addition to my collection.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Awesome fossil find fossilized6s. :drool:

(but a millipede is a myriapod not an insect )

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

How did you find it? Did you split the rock yourself or did you find it that way? If you split the rock yourself, is there a way to tell which rocks to split and how to split them, or do you just have to split likely looking rocks until you get lucky?

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Very nice Charlie, Congrats. : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Beautiful find. Congrats!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Yep Charlie, mighty dang nice...got a few too many legs to be an insect but them "thousand leggers" will do that everytime.

I was trying to get a photo of a live Florida Scarlet one two days ago and I couldnt get the dang thing to sit still....usually they just curl up but this one was wanting to keep motoring....just my luck and I was supposed to be working...I should have just picked him/her up and put it in a bag and took him home for a later photo op....I know I can't admit to letting a darn millipede out smart me but I guess I did! Oh well...dang bugs!

Congrats!

Regards, Chris

Yay Charlie! Welcome to the Spiny Millepede Club. ;)

Back from all my travels and ready to switch from coral reef survey mode to fossil hunting mode--yippie (finally). Planning on heading off with Jeff (jcbshark) to catch a little creek action here in South Florida at the tail end of the season. Hoping for something special but just happy to be sifting gravel again. Also, less than a month before I get to go back to that magical place they call Mazon Creek. Hoping to fill my freezer with nodules and my garage with buckets of micro-matrix so that I can catch-up on some fossil hunting over the summer.

Can't wait to see what other oddities reveal themselves in your last batch of Pit 11 nods.

Cheers.

-Ken

How did you find it? Did you split the rock yourself or did you find it that way? If you split the rock yourself, is there a way to tell which rocks to split and how to split them, or do you just have to split likely looking rocks until you get lucky?

Its an ironstone concretion that weathers out of the shale. Sometimes they can be found already split. Most use a freeze/thaw cycle to open them as a hammer is too destructive.

Awesome find btw! Especially from the Essex!

Congratulations, Charlie!

Awesome find.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome fossil find [/size] fossilized6s. :drool:

(but a millipede is a myriapod not an insect )

Thank you! Yeah, i know it's like calling a Bat a Bird, because it flys and has wings. It's still an insect in general to me.

This was a nodule i collected from Mazon Creek, IL. I used the freeze/thaw method to crack this guy. I've cracked literally tens of thousands of nodules to find my hundreds of fossils. It's an addicting process. It's like opening a gift.

Very nice Charlie, Congrats. : )

Thank you Jeff.

Beautiful find. Congrats!

Thank you sir.

Looking good.

Thanks Jeff, i'm pleased.

Yep Charlie, mighty dang nice...got a few too many legs to be an insect but them "thousand leggers" will do that everytime.

I was trying to get a photo of a live Florida Scarlet one two days ago and I couldnt get the dang thing to sit still....usually they just curl up but this one was wanting to keep motoring....just my luck and I was supposed to be working...I should have just picked him/her up and put it in a bag and took him home for a later photo op....I know I can't admit to letting a darn millipede out smart me but I guess I did! Oh well...dang bugs!

Congrats!

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris. I've always wanted a giant millipede for a pet. They are amazing, beautiful creatures. Just watching the wave motion of their legs as they walk is hypnotic.

Yay Charlie! Welcome to the Spiny Millepede Club. ;)

Back from all my travels and ready to switch from coral reef survey mode to fossil hunting mode--yippie (finally). Planning on heading off with Jeff (jcbshark) to catch a little creek action here in South Florida at the tail end of the season. Hoping for something special but just happy to be sifting gravel again. Also, less than a month before I get to go back to that magical place they call Mazon Creek. Hoping to fill my freezer with nodules and my garage with buckets of micro-matrix so that I can catch-up on some fossil hunting over the summer.

Can't wait to see what other oddities reveal themselves in your last batch of Pit 11 nods.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks Ken, it's a great club to be in. haha

Good luck with your first river hunt. May the River Gods be kind.

Its an ironstone concretion that weathers out of the shale. Sometimes they can be found already split. Most use a freeze/thaw cycle to open them as a hammer is too destructive.

Awesome find btw! Especially from the Essex!

Thanks Jim. Yeah, i definitely didn't expect this guy to be in with the essex fauna. But, I'm also far from expert on these matters. I just find the stuff, and do my homework later.haha

Great find. It is quite the specimen.

Thanks Seth. I wish it was more complete. Maybe the next one will be.

Congratulations, Charlie!

Awesome find.

Regards,

Thank you Tim.

That is great!....

Thanks Billbillt.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Congrats Charlie.RB

Thanks RB.

How's the "Preppers Palace" coming along?

~Charlie~

That certainly is a beauty, Charlie! It's making me wonder even more what might be waiting for me out in my garage.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Hey, I appreciated the quotes around "insect". Certainly a cool arthropod and being terrestrial it's that much cooler.

That certainly is a beauty, Charlie! It's making me wonder even more what might be waiting for me out in my garage.

Thanks Rob. You probably have a whole eco system out there.

Hey, I appreciated the quotes around "insect". Certainly a cool arthropod and being terrestrial it's that much cooler.

Thanks erose. It is pretty cool. It's amazing how these creatures worked.

~Charlie~

Congratulations Charlie. It is always great to put a new item into your collection.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Congratulations Charlie. It is always great to put a new item into your collection.

Thanks Don.

At first I didn't think much of it, because it is only a partial. But the fine details of it really paint a beautiful picture of how it looked 300mya. It's a nice addition. I can't wait to find another!

~Charlie~

Congratulations on a really excellent specimen. A really fine addition to the collection, regardless of what order it is.

Thank you, sir. It is a neat piece. When ever I walk by my Mazon cabinet I always have to look or even stop and stare. Haha, they still amaze me.

~Charlie~

Archived