Kkoz

Ammonite Sites In California?

Kkoz

Hi,

Lately I'm interested in ammonites, as they are cool and much older than any of the Miocene/Pliocene fossils I find. Anyone know of localities where ammonites are found? I read about a 22" Pachydiscus catarinae ammonite that was pulled out of a concretion in Point Loma, San Diego, Ca in the 1970s via a helicopter. A couple other baculites and ammonites are recorded from the upper cretaceous Point Loma Fm. I also know about some ammonites that are found in the Sierra Nevada mountains area and Nevada. Any help is much appreciated, as shark teeth and whale bones are all I find, and I wish to diversify.post-16540-0-99033200-1431382027_thumb.jpg

siteseer

Ammonites have been found in northern California - sites in Shasta County, I think, as well as in the area of Chico. I heard about a reverend who has hunted along a river in Nor Cal and has founds numerous ammonites. Some were on display at the Buena Vista Museum of Natural History in Bakersfield. In Southern California ammonites have been found in the Silverado Canyon area, Orange County. In the 90's a friend took me out there. I found a gastropod but no ammonites. There are other sites but you will need to crack some books to find them and see if they are still accessible.

Hi,
Lately I'm interested in ammonites, as they are cool and much older than any of the Miocene/Pliocene fossils I find. Anyone know of localities where ammonites are found? I read about a 22" Pachydiscus catarinae ammonite that was pulled out of a concretion in Point Loma, San Diego, Ca in the 1970s via a helicopter. A couple other baculites and ammonites are recorded from the upper cretaceous Point Loma Fm. I also know about some ammonites that are found in the Sierra Nevada mountains area and Nevada. Any help is much appreciated, as shark teeth and whale bones are all I find, and I wish to diversify.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

AncientEarth

Two major sites here in southern CA for ammonites, like siteseer said, do some reasearch and you'll find at least one you can poke at, the other in now a park and I would not recommend it.

Larry1ma

I'm coming from Ireland to Anaheim. On the 26th of may I'm going out for a dig nearby. I'm interested in the Silverado canyon site. Could someone direct me as to where to research the other sites as I find some of the comments about locations a bit cryptic