Trilobites From The Wolsey Shale Near Manhattan, Montana

Nanosaurus

Greetings All,

Has anyone had any experience collecting trilobites near Manhattan, Montana? I am told the Nixon Gulch locality there is no longer accessible, but I would expect that other outcrops of the Wolsey Shale in the area would be productive as well. I plan to head out and see the area, but any tips for potential collecting localities are appreciated. Thanks!

Hey LJ, I tried going out there twice. I did find a stream near Nixon Gulch with some nice pavements of disarticulated trilobites. In 2005 I went out there with my girlfriend and got kicked out by a security guard; they don't want anybody driving around there who doesn't own property in that development. Never looked for more trilo localities afterwards.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi Bobby, thanks for the info. I was told that the Nixon Gulch site was buit over and was wondering about other potential locales outside of the private property patchwork there. I may see what the outcrops are like on the state and BLM land nearby. Thanks again for the help.

Like Bobby said. My son went there and got kicked out by the security guard. And its only 2 hours from me. Really sucks.

RB

• I found this Informative 1