Mosasaur Skull

Hello,

The skull is supposed to be a platicarpus... it has been examined by paleontology students and phd (according to the seller and to a report signed by a geologist) who concluded that it s 70-75% authentic.

Concerning the identification of the specie, the report state:

"The anatomy of this skull suggests an evolution of the Tympaniticus, with the palate
dentition similar to, but more evolved than, the Prognathodon - and exhibiting the elongate maxilla
and dentary of common Mosasuarus, for example the Plotosaurus bennisoni"

They datted the fossil to mid-late cretaceous ad think taht its origin is from the Khourigba aera in Morocco.

Now, as you can see on the picture, the rear part of the cranium looks to have been heavily restaured, if not totaly reconstructed with artificial material (quadrate, posterior extension of the pterygoid, supratemporal and supraoccipital...).

The report states:

"In this case, there are parts of the angular/articular; coronoid, jugal, parietal,
postorbitalfrontal, quadrate, squamosal and surangular that have been repaired, augmented or
replaced."

post-18373-0-11008900-1431427488_thumb.jpg

post-18373-0-88991300-1431427501_thumb.jpg

Do you think that it s possible that it has only 25 to 30% of restoration as specified?

I would want to examine it in person. From the images, I get the sinking feeling that it is less than 50% original.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would want to examine it in person. From the images, I get the sinking feeling that it is less than 50% original.

Agreed. The quality of the images available to you are not sufficient to judge the level of restoration.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

like i said in some other post about morocco , asking for the preparation pictures or for the pictures before preparation, nobody can remonted such skull without pictures, no pictures is supicious. platecarpus is very common in maestrichian of phosphates in morocco, but lot of time completely crushed. the lower jaw is probably faked, mosasaurs didnt have a the jaw in one piece, and the coronoide is not from platecarpus. the connection between the jugal and the post orbito-frontal is fake. for the rest the pictures are too small .

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

Concerning the lower jaw it was actually in 2 pieces... the separation is clearly visible (and anatomicaly correct) on the original pictures but i had to reduce the format to be able to post it on the forum.

Thanks for your advice

like that ?

post-2284-0-71362500-1431869283_thumb.jpg

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

Yes mostly.

Nevertheless the angulair articular and coronid bones have been restored or completely replaced... as most other bones of the posterior part of the skull. This has been described by the scientist who examined the specimen. Anyway I would be very surprised that the whole lower jaw is fake as you sugested in your previous email.

On the picture it appears that the coronoid and subangulair are in one piece (wich would obviousely be incorrect) but it s hard to be sure.

The main issue (for me) with this skull is the lack of pictures of the specimen in his original matrix and of the restoration process.

Archived