Attn: All West Coast Collectors

PRK

One whale earbone to go please. I found this in the side of a creek bank in the Scotia Sandstone formation. I forget who I donated it to?

RB

post-171-0-91440700-1432389692_thumb.jpg

Ok, talking about whales, how bout some whale barnicles? Here ya go. Not sure who I donated these to, but I don't have them anymore. These were all found in the Scotia Sandstone and Rio Dell Formations in Northern California.

RB

post-171-0-89987900-1432416854_thumb.jpg

Since im into the balanus, here is the largest one Ive ever found. This one comes from the Moonstone Formation in Northern California.

RB

post-171-0-71260600-1432417025_thumb.jpg

REALLY NICE RON both the whale barnacles and that giant. What ages?

That giant being an edible crustacean, would've been a major meal for the costal native Americans. I thought the large balanus of mine were big but--- . I know they eat much smaller examples as I commonly find them in our local middens

Do you still have that one?

All beauties!!! PPK

Hi PK, yes I still have that large barnacle, that one is? I don't know, purty young, about 900,000 I think, and the others are Pliestocene.

RB

Any ideas how those whale barnacles could get rubbed off and still be intact?

Also any idea what species of whale these guys were attached too?

Edited by PRK

Ok, talking about whales, how bout some whale barnicles? Here ya go. Not sure who I donated these to, but I don't have them anymore. These were all found in the Scotia Sandstone and Rio Dell Formations in Northern California.

RB

These are very nice. I hope to find one some day. Were these associated or found in different areas? These are found on humpback whales, I'm not sure if other whales have this particular species. If you look at pictures of modern ones on whales most look to be firmly embedded and not likely to rub off without being damaged. I would guess if you found a whole one it came off a dead whale.

Ive always heard them reffered to as a generalization, "whale barnacles".The "greyish" patches on a gray whale are also barnacles. Would they be of a different variety?

Here is my only example of a whale barn, it was found in the timms point silt, S calif

Officicially authenticated as ---

post-9950-0-51228900-1432486559_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Hey Ron,

You donated that fossil to Sierra College, and my labmate C.H. Tsai and I published on it earlier this year in Journal of Paleontology - it's a tympanic bulla with associated posterior process of a gray whale, Eschrichtius sp., cf. E. robustus, the geochronologically earliest Eschrichtius specimen from the eastern North Pacific (slightly earlier specimens are known from the Pliocene of Japan, and we hypothesized that Eschrichtius originated in the western North Pacific during the Pliocene and dispersed to the eastern North Pacific during the early Pleistocene).

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to attach the figure from our paper! Here it is.

post-225-0-50040600-1432573510_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boesse

Thanks Bobby. I donated so much stuff way back then that I cant remember where or to who.

RB

Thanks Bobby. I donated so much stuff way back then that I cant remember where or to who.

RB

Ron,

If you post the particulars of this donation (I'm glad that Bobby has a good memory!) in the "Contributions Gallery" >LINK<, we'd be pleased to give you a little bling for your profile. Posting it according to the guidelines is a formality to recognize the importance of such amateur diligence. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I guess one can't get any more west than this sharktooth. I had to fight the aggressive tide for this one.

From the coastal exposures of the Astoria fm. Oregon

post-9950-0-41455800-1432688397_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Hey PRK,

That is a nice tooth! What type of shark is it and what is the age?

Here is another one from My collection--

A pine cone from Virgin Valley Nevada

1.3 inches long, side and end views.

post-16416-0-80871200-1432690245_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-61211000-1432690260.jpg

No opal in this one... oh well.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Hi tony ---nice little cone. I can a-l-mo-s-t make out some color there

The Astoria formation is Miocene, and the tooth is "Isurus planus"

A tooth for some reason, only found in the ancient Pacific Ocean.

Edited by PRK

post-713-0-89137800-1432847694_thumb.jpg

Recent find of associated sperm whale ear bones from our quarry in Sharktooth Hill area of Bakersfield, ca. finding a complete whale bulla in the bonebed is very rare, but finding it with the petrosal very rare.

Lisa

Whoa, that's absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful find- the sort paleocetologists live for.

Those are some neat Ear bones.

Here are two more that are also from STH . I think that the left one is from a juvenile dolphin.

Scale is a centimeter ruler.

post-16416-0-60267600-1433036960_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-19027400-1433036970_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-90828000-1433036982_thumb.jpg

Is there a way to tell which dolphin they came from?

Tony

Both of those are kentriodontid dolphins - a group of early (and poorly understood) delphinoids at the stem of oceanic dolphins, porpoises, and white whale (beluga/narwhal). The small one I believe is the same one I identified as Platylithax robusta earlier today. The larger one is probably Liolithax kernensis, a common kentriodontid with periotics that are a bit larger and often exceed 30mm.

Both of those are kentriodontid dolphins - a group of early (and poorly understood) delphinoids at the stem of oceanic dolphins, porpoises, and white whale (beluga/narwhal). The small one I believe is the same one I identified as Platylithax robusta earlier today. The larger one is probably Liolithax kernensis, a common kentriodontid with periotics that are a bit larger and often exceed 30mm.

Thank You Bobby,

The smaller one is the one from the ID section, I did not know the Identity of the other one. I really appreciate the information.

Tony

Those are some neat Ear bones.

Here are two more that are also from STH . I think that the left one is from a juvenile dolphin.

Scale is a centimeter ruler.

attachicon.gifDSCF2929.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF2931.JPG attachicon.gifDSCF2933.JPG

Is there a way to tell which dolphin they came from?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Here is a link to some of R. Kellogg's illustrations. I believe he has drawings of 5 or 6 different species of dolphin ear bones from STH. http://paleobiology.si.edu/paleoArt/prentice/gallery.htm

Lisa

Hi Tony,

Here is a link to some of R. Kellogg's illustrations. I believe he has drawings of 5 or 6 different species of dolphin ear bones from STH. http://paleobiology.si.edu/paleoArt/prentice/gallery.htm

Lisa

Thank You Lisa, That is a cool page!

Tony

post-713-0-90836900-1433214358_thumb.jpg

Thanks Bobby. Here they are together

Lisa

Whoa, that's absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful find- the sort paleocetologists live for.

Very interesting pic ! Thanks.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg