Going On A Vacation To Uk And Europe, Any Good Places I Should Visit?

Han.T

Hey all! I am in the midst of planning for a really spontaneous trip(27 May to 15 June) to UK and Europe that me and a few friends decided to go for this summer to celebrate the end of college. I am pretty much the only one crazy about fossils in the group, but they are all happy to accompany me to learn a little about paleo-stuff too. :P

I will be meeting a couple of them who are currently in London(as students studying there) and we plan rent a car and travel to the southern coastal cities/towns of England for about 3 nights. Would really like to visit the Jurassic coast there and maybe even hunt for fossils for the first time in my life! I understand the coast is huge so please do let me know if there are any particular points of interest/areas that I must go to. On a side note, we are not sure which are the best cities there to stopover for the night(s) - thinking of going up to Plymouth with a stop in Bournemouth along the way.

After the road trip we will spend a few days free and easy in London, will of course visit the NHM but are there any other paleo-related museums or fossil shops worth visiting there?

We will spend a total of 9 nights in England then fly over to Amsterdam for 3 nights. After which we will take a train to Bruges and Brussels for 2 nights each, and lastly end in Paris for 3 nights.

It is a really ambitious plan for us and I apologise if this is a lot to take in. We know our dates and what transportation and accommodations to book, but the tricky part is to find out the best places to visit in those countries in order to fully experience their heritage and cultures (and also fossil activities to do!). Oh, and of course local cuisine and drink (like beer in Belgium)!

It will be a first time trip for all of us, so I would really appreciate any recommended stops or tips for the journey. Doesn't have to be too much about fossils, so if you also know a good restaurant or hidden gem in those countries I will be grateful if you let me know! :)

Edited by Han.T

The Singaporean Fossil Collectors Group, come join us here today!

Hi Han,

I could give you some info for Belgium. Bruges on its own is worth the visit If you like old cities and buildings, and so is the centrum of Brussels.

But you wont find fossil hunting locations near those cities.

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like some more specific info for Belgium.

If you need some more info on Amsterdam I would recomand you to ask Seaforth (he lives in Amsterdam)

Kevin

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hi Han,

An ambitious plan indeed but it does sound like a fun trip.

As for Amsterdam. I live there and I can easily direct you to a GREAT fossil shop right in the town centre and assist you to find some nice places and avoid the obvious tourist traps.

Some cool castles too if you like that sort of thing. Anything else you are itnerested it? Feel free to PM me.

As for fossil hunting in the UK I reccomend a trip to Folkestone. A bit outr of the way maybe but lots of stuff to be found there, albeit small stuff like ammonite frags & stuff.

Cheers

Pat

Hey Kevin and Pat!

Thank you all so much for offering to give me advice for my trip! I have PMed you both!

I am really looking forward to Amsterdam and Belgium, I have heard so many great things about the cities and what they have to offer. There is only so little time to explore everything and I don't want to burn myself out.

I think of all the places we are visiting, Paris is the most unfamiliar and intimidating, please do let me know if there is anyone I can consult for that! :)

Best regards,

Han

Hunting for fossils is easy, but with all that travel you won't be able to take much equipment so look for easy to collect sites. There is a good fossil shop near the beach at Charmouth and easy access so you could start there. Apart from that you could consider Folkestone, lots of small fossils that don't require any equipment so easy to transport. Remember all the times you will have to go through security so don't get caught out by having a chisel in your back pocket.

Thank you all for your recommendations! Folkestone may be a little out of the way for my trip, but I will definitely be spending time in Dorset (Lyme Regis/ Charmouth). I was also told Burton Bradstock nearby is a nice place for fossil hunting too.

How does one start hunting for fossils in these locations? I hear there are different spots for different types of fossils? Any tips for beginners? :P

I might obtain some cheap tools while in England and leave them (along with any fossil finds) at a friend's place while traveling Europe. I will be returning to London for a last night before my return flight.

Often a sharp pair of eyes is the only tool you need. The beaches round Lyme and Charmouth are littered with ammonites and belemnites, especially after high tide. Seatown is another good site. It's illegal (and dangerous) to dig into the cliff walls for fossils, though you can use hammers on the beach. The museum at Lyme is worth a visit (it also organises fossil hunts). For further details see: www.ukfossils.co.uk/dorset.htm