bigred97

Hello! I'm a new fossil enthusiast in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I find Silurian and Devonian crinoids, gastropods, brachiopods, bryozoans, and corals here, mostly on the Lake Michigan shore.

I found the attached rock in Door County, Wisconsin, about 3 hours north of here, in the water off of a public beach. It doesn't resemble anything else I've ever found. I am very curious about it so I would be thrilled if anyone can identify it or provide possibilities.

post-17691-0-11528800-1431899187_thumb.jpg

post-17691-0-01638500-1431899197_thumb.jpg

post-17691-0-90232000-1431899201_thumb.jpg

The first pic is a little blurry but should give an idea about size. The other two should be good closeups.

Thanks!

It seems slightly split down the middle of the longitudinal section. I wonder how that happened

I too think it is a longitudinal section through a crinoid stem, a rather ornate one.

The rock has been worn down to just the right place (rather that fortuitously split).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I meant how the gap between the two sides of the stem is wider on the one side rather than how it was worn down, like on the bottom half of the second picture or the top half of the third one. Sorry for the miscommunication, hope you can see what I mean now

differential erosion wear and tear. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks for all the comments! I figured it was likely a crinoid stem but thought I would get some other opinions because it seemed unusual. I was puzzled by the split of the 2 halves like you were, Pumpkinhead, and was thinking it is sort of like a blade of grass that gets split into 2 halves. But if this is a crinoid stem, then it's almost like it has a small tube in the middle and that tube was widened on one end more than the other. In any case, I've found it fun to speculate about!