Pliosaurus Skull

I have a chance to get this Pliosaurus but its not cheap. I wouldn't mind some advice to confirm its authenticity.

Thank you.

post-17123-0-09455500-1432051402_thumb.jpg

post-17123-0-61045800-1432051463_thumb.jpg

Arent pliosaurus supposed to have a short neck?

Relatively speaking, yes, but they still had a neck:

post-423-0-70971500-1432053796_thumb.jpg

The lower skeleton is a Pliosaur.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know very little about Plesiosaurs but came across this PDF from Morocco which may also be helpful in your quest to see if its authentic. The cervical verts look like a match and some resemblance in the skull.

0912f510248a7499e4000000-1.pdf

yes plesiosaurs sounds anatomicaly more credible to me...

But I dont know much about it.

It looks real but then it's also real beat-up. It looks like someone found after it had already started eroding out of the rock. When you find a fossil whale skull of any kind, you expect no teeth attached because the teeth are shallowly-rooted and they tend to fall out and float out as decomposition gets going. When you buy a mosasaur or plesiosaur skull from Morocco, you expect there to be some teeth because they are more deep-rooted. I've seen only a couple of skulls like that one. I don't know if the teeth tend to stay in or near the skull (depending on the environment) but a damaged skull with no teeth should be cheap even with a nice string of neck vertebrae.

A good preparator with good photographs of a good skull could take that apart and make it look better but that would be more money on top of "not cheap." I would keep looking and see what a better one sells for.

I have a chance to get this Pliosaurus but its not cheap. I wouldn't mind some advice to confirm its authenticity.

Thank you.