Icno-Liceous, Very Cool !

PRK

A friend was out collecting locally and ran across this cool fossil. Ive been collecting local Oligocene for quite a few years now and this is a first. He gave it to me but I still have no ideas.

Any opinions?

post-9950-0-69029000-1432069863_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

Does it follow a bedding plane?

Is this as-found, or was it prepped-out (ie: could it have been made by in-fauna)?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I can't be sure about a "bedding plane" as it is as found on the outside of a chunk of naturally weathered resistant lithified rock and found as a random piece of float

At a couple of the edges, the marks seem to 'wrap-around' (and indeed are embedded); being a naturally weathered piece, it seems likely that the maker was burrowing through sediment, rather than traversing it. I think that a burrowing bivalve is as good a guess as any, and better than most.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Paul, what a really neat trace. Maybe Scott who has helped me with ichnos has some additional ideas....

Im definitely no ichnoguy but they do intrigue me. For what its worth I initially thought they looked kind of symmetrical internally as if some arthropod/legs was/were plowing along but with more pondering and closer inspection and seeing what the others have said it looks like whatever it was plodded along in one direction and then possibly even reversed its course and came back adjacent to the initial burrow?

Hoping someone else with some other knowledge/experience will chime in...I would love to know for sure.

I did see this diagram online that has an example (Laminites) that is somewhat similar to the structure but someone who has more knowledge should make that determination if its even in the right ballpark.

post-1240-0-09411000-1432557237_thumb.jpg

https://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/bitstream/handle/1808/4061/umi-ku-2328_1.pdf;jsessionid=3A2F26DDC6A04C3B4AED0D85BDAF0153?sequence=1

Cool example...hoping someone can offer more about its creator and its actual ID...

Regards, Chris

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you Chris, and i think it should be kept in mind that these patterns are Oligocene.

Edited by PRK