Justinlc91

Could all of the large meteorite impacts, especially the one(s) that drove the dinosaurs to extinction, increase the earths gravity? And if so is it likely this is a big factor in the next evolutionary step for dinosaurs, feathered flight?

Auspex

The sum total gain in the Earth's mass by meteorite bombardment in the last 500 million years is an immeasurably small percentage. I do not think it could possibly change the planet's gravity in any environmentally significant way.

Herb

I don't think dinosaurs will have a next evolutionary step. :P

Justinlc91

I don't think dinosaurs will have a next evolutionary step. :P

It's funny you say that Herb, because it's obviously a contradiction. In Glut's Dinosaur Encyclopedia though it states that the only reason birds aren't called dinosaurs at this point is because of the mass confusion it would cause. I think it's practical to say birds were their next evolutionary step, but I'm open to the matter.

Thanks Auspex.

Auspex

Class Aves was a 'step' taken long before the extinction of the other dinosaurs. ;)

The environmental conditions that set that stage, in my opinion, occurred in the late Permian, when the percentage of oxygen in the atmosphere at sea level was about what it is now at 15.000 feet, New, more efficient methods of respiration got an evolutionary kick start then.

jpc

The sum total gain in the Earth's mass by meteorite bombardment in the last 500 million years is an immeasurably small percentage. I do not think it could possibly change the planet's gravity in any environmentally significant way.

Bingo.

Theorist

Meteorites are not a factor in the Earth’s surface gravity, continental distribution and movement is, as explained by the Gravity Theory of Mass Extinction:

Surface gravity will not change to any substantial degree until the next supercontinent forms.

Auspex

Meteorites are not a factor in the Earth’s surface gravity, continental distribution and movement is, as explained by the Gravity Theory of Mass Extinction:

Surface gravity will not change to any substantial degree until the next supercontinent forms.

I do not believe that this theory has any support within the scientific community. It makes great, unsubstantiated leaps of logic, while ignoring the basic, highly salient physical facts regarding the distribution of planetary mass.

You last trotted this ball of pseudoscience out in 2009, complete with tangential obfuscations, and yet never landed a single point about why you think that (1) gravity on earth has varied by any meaningful amount since it was formed, and (2) why you think that it would have had the claimed effect of causing giant creatures to evolve.

I quote here from our community standards statement:

We are fundamentally a science-based forum, wherein curiosity meets critical thinking, and topics promulgating metaphysical, paranormal, or pseudo-scientific topics will be out of place

It just doesn't get much more pseudo than this! Sorry, but you'll have to take it elsewhere.

Herb

It's funny you say that Herb, because it's obviously a contradiction. In Glut's Dinosaur Encyclopedia though it states that the only reason birds aren't called dinosaurs at this point is because of the mass confusion it would cause. I think it's practical to say birds were their next evolutionary step, but I'm open to the matter.

Thanks Auspex.

"Lighten up." It's a joke, Dude. I don't get the "gravity" of the discussion obviously.

Edited by Herb

Justinlc91

"Lighten up." It's a joke, Dude. I don't get the "gravity" of the discussion obviously.

Hahahahahahaha.

Thanks guys : )