I Just Finished My First Crab Prep.

fossilized6s

I bought this from a fellow member last June or July. I was planning on buying some prep equipment to do it, but the funds never materialized. So I did what any broke noob would do, I bought a $7 glass etcher. Hahaha!

This guy has BEAUTIFUL coloring! Tans, browns, creams, etc. But he's tiny. Not the easiest specimen for a noob. But I have trust in my steady hand, saint like patience and my detailed nature. So I went for it.

Everything was looking great until I started his right side. It looks like something had crushed his whole right side. I was going to restore it (clay, paint, clear), but I think it's neat when fossils are crushed. It makes them feel more "alive" to me. Yeah, I wish he was more complete, but maybe the next one will be.

I even surprised myself and uncovered some of his eye sockets. And unfortunately his claws are mostly underneath of him.....so I didn't want to venture that deep.

post-14584-0-90698400-1432349955_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-90589700-1432349973_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-90537100-1432350000_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-80356700-1432350021_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-70940800-1432350043_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-39881700-1432350065_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-39014300-1432350085_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-61545800-1432350099_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-70722200-1432350118_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-30678500-1432350137_thumb.jpg

Any pointers for a noob? Besides suggesting to buy the right equipment....hahaha....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Great first crab, Charlie. The colors are striking. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well done. It does have great color! I have about 10 of those waiting to be prepped. I need to get at them soon.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Well done. It does have great color! I have about 10 of those waiting to be prepped. I need to get at them soon.

Thanks, rejd. It takes awhile. Do you have proper prep tools?

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Very nice work. I make most of my tools out of pins, needles, brads, etc. Of course i have my trusty Dremel but have sometimes done more damage than good lol. I love the colors on that crab.

"Keep Looking Down"

"Work is experience, experience is knowledge, knowledge is confidence, confidence is a job well done!"

Wonderful prep, it's a great result. Your effort supports snolly's oft stated thesis, that fine results can be achieved without a fancy rig. I don't see how the piece could present any better, so obviously it is properly prepped no matter the tools employed.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I am, frankly, stunned by your breathtaking results, all the more so at how you achieved them.

Well done!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, Charlie! You did so well on that. The crab is beautiful...great colours. I never would have thought of using a glass etcher. I would love to give that a try, just have to get hold of a crab concretion first! lol.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Hey Charlie. I have to say you did a fantastic job! What would you or could you do with the right tools! Im guessing that you would be able to do this with your eyes closed. Ha!!

RB

Thanks guys for all of the kind words. I really appreciate it.

I really enjoyed this. We'll see what the future brings with more crabs.

~Charlie~

I do have an air scribe and waiting on an air eraser. Plus the usual pick and stuff. I do believe I should be able to achieve good results with the tools I have.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

I do have an air scribe and waiting on an air eraser. Plus the usual pick and stuff. I do believe I should be able to achieve good results with the tools I have.

Yeah, those should work nicely. Good luck!

~Charlie~

Really nice work on that crab! Came out great. BTW, did you ever work on the Avit. nodule that you talked about last year?

looking good i would like to try oneof these soon as i get geared up.

doc

Great work '6s!

And all with a $7 glass etcher!

Thanks, Doc. I used a dremel to help smooth out the surface and edges of the nodule.

Really nice work on that crab! Came out great. BTW, did you ever work on the Avit. nodule that you talked about last year?

Thank you. I started on it with my dremel, but i decided it wasn't the best route to take. So i put it back on the shelf. I may try it again with my glass etcher. But i'm doing another really difficult crab at the moment.

looking good i would like to try oneof these soon as i get geared up.

doc

Thanks. Patience pays. Good luck!

~Charlie~

Nice crab. Nice work. With what you say?! A glass etcher. Can we see a photo of that? I am always intrigued when someone uses a novel toll. (My first was done with a drywall screw)

Thanks, JP. I'll have to get that to you tomorrow. Haha, It's a Harbor Freight pos. But I figure I can buy about 100 of these and it will equal one microjack (not to say I wouldn't buy a microjack given the funds).

~Charlie~

Here it is.

post-14584-0-80670400-1432912905_thumb.jpg

Here's another one I did.

post-14584-0-60826100-1432912921_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-79010800-1432912935_thumb.jpg

And I started this one. I have to remove the whole front half of the nodule, because his claws are pointed down. It's a lot of work. Hopefully they're intact.

Before

post-14584-0-21423800-1432912952_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-71466100-1432912969_thumb.jpg

After a bit of prep. Still a long ways to go....

post-14584-0-39396500-1432912983_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-60914900-1432912996_thumb.jpg

~Charlie~

Thanks, MB. Coming from a crab expert, that means a lot.

~Charlie~