Made Another Trip To Beltzville 5.23.15

anthracite31

We finally made it back out to Beltzville State Park on Saturday. Had a good time on a beautiful day. No trilobites though 😥

post-15997-0-11470200-1432563079_thumb.jpg

post-15997-0-41335600-1432563192_thumb.jpg

post-15997-0-31645700-1432563247_thumb.jpg

Let me start out by saying, Coooool! You found some nice stuff. Not being familiar with fossils in your area, what am I looking at in the first row to the right? Looks like sea star arms. And it seems you couldn't have had a more beautiful day to hunt in also.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Neat finds. Thanks for sharing. That looks like a beautiful place.

I think making a few underwater viewers would help you guys a lot. They're pretty easy to make.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

...what am I looking at in the first row to the right? Looks like sea star arms...

Are you referring to this?

post-423-0-60216900-1432582286_thumb.jpg

The line I've drawn parallels a hinge line; I think it is an internal mold of a fancy brachiopod.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think he's talking about the structures in the third picture of the first post.

Ah, of course!

post-423-0-48978400-1432591879_thumb.jpg

They do look like sea star arms.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Those are gorgeous! I'm new so I'm not sure if I can find things like this where I am. I'm looking though... :) Thanks for sharing!

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

I think the "sea star arms" are actually Bryozoans.

Something like Taeniopora sp. maybe?

And yes, JP, ... that area is Devonian, quite possibly Mahantango Formation.

Regards,

EDIT: - Link to Pictures of Taeniopora.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think the "sea star arms" are actually Bryozoans.

Something like Taeniopora sp. maybe?

And yes, JP, ... that area is Devonian, quite possibly Mahantango Formation.

Regards,

EDIT: - Link to Pictures of Taeniopora.

Good job! :)

Hi everyone. Thanks you all the feedback. We are far from educated on all these items and formations but we learn a little bit more with each trip and from the help of you. I will be looking up Bryozoans here in a few minutes! Making an underwater viewer is a great idea. We were even discussing using a small pool float and snorkel/mask and just float the shallows. Thanks again for all the info everyone. Take care

Those are gorgeous! I'm new so I'm not sure if I can find things like this where I am. I'm looking though... :) Thanks for sharing!

Truth be told, I think it's harder to find a rock without a fossil on it in the area we were looking. I'd love to say it was because of our super sleuth skills, but this is a well known site :-)