Gaint Crinoid?

flower9283

Hey guys, I'm new here so I hope I'm posting to the right place. I found this fossil about a week ago and it looks like a crinoid to me but I need to be sure. I can't find another one that's an inch and a half wide and has such long segments. I'm fairly new to the fossil world and I'm finding that things are not always what they seem here. Lol. Thanks.

post-18488-0-51221800-1432584887_thumb.jpg

post-18488-0-49741500-1432584956_thumb.jpg

For me looks like an Orthoceras.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome!

Wow! That is a great piece of Calamites (a Carboniferous period tree). Beautiful.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Welcome!

Wow! That is a great piece of Calamites (a Carboniferous period tree). Beautiful.

Yes, a decorticated core cast. The second image shows the ribbing, and a branch base.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I thought that at one point but would the Orthoceras have a few nodules coming off it like this one or would those be something else as well? There are a few on the other side too all at the end only.

See posts 3 & 4 :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Welcome!

Well...I learnt something new. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Sorry. Bad weather=bad internet. So wow! I had to look it up but ya. That's it! You guys are awesome! Been knocking myself out over this for a week. Thank you guys solo much. So glad I joined. :)

...So glad I joined. :)

So are we; we got to see your cool and unusual fossil!

Welcome. I agree, it's a good 3-D Calamites stem or branch, showing decorticated inner bark and also showing along one side the outer bark (Calamophyllites). Great find.

post-12742-0-00121000-1432587941_thumb.jpg

Very nice calamites stem. And welcome to the forum. I assume you found it in Kansas?

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Yes it is from southeast Kansas. I never realized there was a whole other world under my feet. Almost every rock in my area has some sort of fossil in it. Thanks everyone.