Sign in to follow this  
erikschr

Help: Can Anyone Help Me Indentify This Fossil?

erikschr

Dear Fossilforum members,

My name is Erik Schreuders from the Netherlands.

I have always had a passion for anything old and with a story. This is how I have been raised.

Now I am trying to give my daughter the same values by telling her stories with everything we find.

We both share a passion for fossils and this weekend we bought 2 great pieces.

Can anybody tell mw what kind of fish this would have been?

Thanks for taking the time.

All my best,

Erik

post-18503-0-41642700-1432711071_thumb.jpg

oilshale

Hi Erik,

this is a nice fish from the Lower Cretaceous of Brazil (from the Santana Formation, so roughly 90 to 110 Mio years old). I am not sure about the species, but it could be a Brannerion vestitum.

The Age of the Cretaceous Santana Formation fossil Konservat Lagerstaette:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/David_Martill/publication/248573231_The_age_of_the_Cretaceous_Santana_Formation_fossil_Konservat_Lagersttte_of_north-east_Brazil_a_historical_review_and_an_appraisal_of_the_biochronostratigraphic_utility_of_its_palaeobiota/links/54a92f110cf2eecc56e5872f.pdf

An updated review of the fish faunas from the Crato and Santana formations in Brazil, a close relationship to the Tethys Fauna:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Yoshitaka_Yabumoto/publication/256422842_An_updated_review_of_the_fish_faunas_from_the_Crato_and_Santana_formations_in_Brazil_a_close_relationship_to_the_Tethys_fauna/links/00b7d5227e4ec6d634000000.pdf

Not sure if this link works for you - if it doesn't, send me a private message. Here I can only upload up to 2MB of files.

Have fun

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Fossildude19

I agree with Thomas, that this is probably a Brannerion vestitium. :)

Great fossil acquisition!

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

GeschWhat

Welcome to the forum! I applaud the wonderful legacy you are passing to your daughter...everything is better with a story!

erikschr

Dear all, thank you very much for the reactions.

I will try to get more information from internet, but it seems a very good push in the right direction.

Have a great day!

Erik

Doctor Mud

Welcome to the forum! I applaud the wonderful legacy you are passing to your daughter...everything is better with a story!

I was also really touched by this too. She is lucky to have such a great dad.

I still remember that my father always encouraged a curiosity about the world and I'm grateful for that.

Beautiful fossil too by the way.

Edited by Doctor Mud

Diceros

In case your daughter asks, Brannerion vestitum (Jordan & Branner, 1919) is a ladyfish, Family Elopidae; a primitive teleost.

Thomas - you are a fount of information! Thanks for including the helpful links.