What Are These Fossils?

LizardLady1995

My brothers and I found them and I've never had them identified. If you know please tell me! Thank you!!!!post-18529-0-91422900-1432962924_thumb.jpgpost-18529-0-49514500-1432962929_thumb.jpgpost-18529-0-00787800-1432962934_thumb.jpgpost-18529-0-29500200-1432962936_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Those are some nice looking cephalopods. The first one is a nautiloid and the second and last are ammonites. Can you post an end view of the third fossil? It may be a coral. You will get more and maybe more detailed answers if you post these on the "fossil identification" sub-forum. Also something for scale to show the size as well as information about where they were found to give them an age. Thanks for showing your finds.

yes! thank you sooo much!!! i'll post another of #3 in the morning, a geologist friend of my family's swears it's a dinosaur bone, but i'd like to know for sure!

LizardLady - I think your geologist friend is right: the 3rd specimen looks like a hunk of dinosaur bone (the inner bone structure, not an external surface you could identify more specifically). People like to cut and polish them, because they're often well-silicified. My guess would be that it's from the late Jurassic Morrison Fm. of the West somewhere.

Although a lot of people who post pics on FF like to use shiny dimes or quarters for scale, I strongly recommend a ruler, because it's easier to use.

howard, the first and last were found in northern utah, the second was found in eastern idaho, and the third was found in colorado/wyoming area

I'm not seeing ammonites in the second photo, I see sections through solitary corals, probably Paleozoic rugose corals.

"Northern Utah" is a big place, with rocks of every possible age. The same is true of your other locations. Without something more precise, such as a nearby town, they don't help narrow down the possible age of the specimens.

Don

I am guessing the third picture is a Devonian Nautiloid. I would need more pictures from different angles to be more definite. As they said a better location might allow us to get a more exact information on the geological age.

I see horn corals in the second photo. Number three is likely a chunk of dinosaur... not identifiable beyond that.