Echinoids Ad Nauseum

Uncle Siphuncle

I led a small detachment of collectors this past weekend on behalf of the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science with paleo curator and good friend George Phillips in attendance.

Sat: Anacacho formation - I took a 5 gallon bucket full of Phyllobrissus cubensis and Hardouinia bowlesi echies and the other guys fared about the same. Next stop: The Boquillas fm way out in West Texas - Holaster sp., Hemiaster jacksoni, Coenholectypus nanus in abundance!

Sun: Anacacho formation - I stumbled onto a very special site now known as "Woehr's Waller" which was chock full o echinoids, mainly Hemiaster texanus, but also Salenia hondoensis, Rachiosoma hondoensis, and some oddball regular echie that needs to be keyed out - could be a new species! Also got Pachydiscus and Trachyscaphites ammonites in addition to Eutrephoceras nautiloids, bivalves, and gastropods. Final stop was my beloved Corsicana formation - Cardiaster leonensis, Proraster dalli, Plesiaster americanus, Linthia variabilis, and Hemiaster bexari echies all came to hand, as did about 10 crabs, a couple shark verts, and another eel neurocranium.

Not a bad trip! My camera was temperamental so I'll need to wait for George's pics to post in my report. Final echie body count - not sure - as numerous as grains of sand at the beach........

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Know the feeling. Where I am at it is belemites. After a while you just pick the best and leave the rest.

Be true to the reality you create.

"Woehr's Waller"; the image is...probably accurate!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I sure hope you post a pic of the Hardouinia bowlesi .

I haven't seen it yet and am very curious>>>

Welcome to the forum!

Amigo Tracer

Why go to all that trouble when we can instead park the truck and step out onto innumerable echinoids? Mua ha ha!

Grüße,

Amigo Tracer

Why go to all that trouble when we can instead park the truck and step out onto innumerable echinoids? Mua ha ha!

two words - no rain. with the woehrmacht ucandigem, you can collect even if it hasn't rained in forty leven years. plus you could load up tons of matrix and dump it in your yard and behind your work place and collect pretty much all the time. ok, think about this - what if you were to make an indoor locality, with about eight or ten yards of matrix courtesy of your woehrmacht ucandigem. you could hunt at midnite during thunderstorms!

two words - no rain. with the woehrmacht ucandigem, you can collect even if it hasn't rained in forty leven years. plus you could load up tons of matrix and dump it in your yard and behind your work place and collect pretty much all the time. ok, think about this - what if you were to make an indoor locality, with about eight or ten yards of matrix courtesy of your woehrmacht ucandigem. you could hunt at midnite during thunderstorms!

tracer is on to something, Dan. I think you could attract a few fossil hunters, for a nominal fee, to your indoor MatrixMania location.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Alas, we could make a play area for each echie bearing TX Cretaceous formation, all under one roof! It would be akin to a pub crawl, all for one price....

Grüße,

Alas, we could make a play area for each echie bearing TX Cretaceous formation, all under one roof! It would be akin to a pub crawl, all for one price....

wait! dan, you're a genius! just do a pub crawl instead! not that i know what a pub crawl is but i'm just sayin'...

Can't wait to see pics.

:o ...of Dan doing the pub crawl?

Oh, you mean the echies...tracer, you got anything to scrub away the visuals until the echinoids get here?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Oh, you mean the echies...tracer, you got anything to scrub away the visuals until the echinoids get here?

yeah, here. while you're waiting just have a snack... yum

That's disgusting........how could anyone mess up a perfectly tasty bug like that.

Brian

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

No pics yet....I'll be joining one "highly credentialed" field associate for the next 5 days in Cincinnati. One must have priorities you know. Tomorrow morning just might put more Ectenocrinus crowns in front of me from that crinoid logjam a buddy and I found in Kentucky a couple years back. Outside of that, it will be one non stop, full tilt rollin' party with about 50 of my high school classmates....food...live music....hot tubs....hot women....GOOD TIMES!

Grüße,

No pics yet....I'll be joining one "highly credentialed" field associate for the next 5 days in Cincinnati. One must have priorities you know. Tomorrow morning just might put more Ectenocrinus crowns in front of me from that crinoid logjam a buddy and I found in Kentucky a couple years back. Outside of that, it will be one non stop, full tilt rollin' party with about 50 of my high school classmates....food...live music....hot tubs....hot women....GOOD TIMES!

I have never heard of fossil trips like that!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only tub I see is a deep spot in a creek some where and hot women is usually all sunburned from being in the field to long, the music is the birds singing and food is usually a snack in the backpack. Boy fossil trips must be changing. :rolleyes: Hope you have fun, just don't get to carried away and forget about the fossils. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Troll House Cookies!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

By the time he gets back the pics might become X rated, from his extracurricular activities.