Birthday Presents

Shellseeker

Dang Jack...several more nice finds and on a birthday too--congrats! Sorry I cant help with an ID on the unknown...

Keep em coming...

Regards, Chris

Dang Jack...several more nice finds and on a birthday too--congrats! Sorry I cant help with an ID on the unknown...

Keep em coming...

Regards, Chris

Thanks Chris,

I been searching and I now think that it is Dasypus Bellus and its peg-like teeth are very different from the Holmesina.

Here is the link: https://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/dasypus-bellus. I can confirm when I next see RIchard Hulbert at a Florida fossil show. For me, it is a good deal. I already have a Holmesina septentrionalis tooth and now I have 2 teeth in a Dasypus Bellus jaw segment. It is always fun to add a 1st time arrival to the collection. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Today was my birthday and I kind of wanted to go hunting just to see if the river fossil gods would smile on me.

. . .

attachicon.gifDSCN0961cm.jpgattachicon.gifDSCN0963cm.jpg

Then, a very rare item. A jaw fragment with 2 teeth!!! I always have asked why I find so many osteoderms from this animal but no teeth. Yes indeed, the river fossil gods did smile and shower me with presents. :rain dance:

attachicon.gifDSCN0959cm.jpgattachicon.gifRSCN0960.jpg

. . .

The jaw is not 'gator, nor is it armadillo. It looks to me like a carnivore jaw, perhaps a dog of some form. The pairs of alveolae are likely to be the two roots of each cheek tooth.

Images at right angles (without your hand) might be useful. Clean out the sediment-filled alveolae before photographing. Provide measurements with a calipers or ruler.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

That is a really sweet specimen!

It seems to have been a bit crowded in the jaw.

It does seem crowded in the jaw and the peg-like teeth are not evenly spaced.

I thought that I knew the ID of this jaw, but now I'm not so sure. The jaw fragment is 3 inches long. It has 6 sockets: 1 empty, 3 broken off teeth, 2 with teeth.

I am now looking for a confirmed ID. Here are some new photos:

attachicon.gifDSCN0970cm.jpgattachicon.gifRSCN0976.jpgattachicon.gifRSCN0978.jpg

I apologize for not being clear; I was referring to the morphology of the 'dagger Meg', with its D/V compression.

High root lobes, thick, bulging center and wrinkles in the crown enamel...it looks like it didn't have room to spread out.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The jaw is not 'gator, nor is it armadillo. It looks to me like a carnivore jaw, perhaps a dog of some form. The pairs of alveolae are likely to be the two roots of each cheek tooth.

Images at right angles (without your hand) might be useful. Clean out the sediment-filled alveolae before photographing. Provide measurements with a calipers or ruler.

Jaw fragment is 75.95mmX41.15mmX14.48mm

post-2220-0-70088600-1433438611_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-08968700-1433438623_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-39240800-1433438639_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-01413100-1433438657_thumb.jpg

Diameters of "pegs" are 3.53mm and 6.02mm

post-2220-0-31213400-1433438717_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-81549500-1433438735_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I apologize for not being clear; I was referring to the morphology of the 'dagger Meg', with its D/V compression.

High root lobes, thick, bulging center and wrinkles in the crown enamel...it looks like it didn't have room to spread out.

I also noticed the wrinkles in the enamel down the sides. I wondered if that was a secondary characteristic of the regressive cusp gene or if the cusp itself was causing the ripple effect. This is the only one of my cusp Megs that has these characteristics. Jack

It's an edentulous dire wolf mandible, I think. Notice the diastemata between p2-p3-p4 of your jaw and compare with the one below. These two-rooted teeth, along with the m1, are represented by the paired alveolae and "pegs" in your jaw.

post-42-0-18994600-1433446829_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

The river was up 8-10 inches and muddy from the recent rains. Time is growing short. The wet season is coming.

Winter is coming....oh, wait, that's a different TV show....

Happy birthday fellow Gemini. Looks like the river gods smiled favorably upon you and rewarded your time and effort with some cool prizes. That meg is gorgeous and now I'm lusting after cusped megs--they're all the rage I hear. ;) I'm planning on spending my birthday digging fossils as well but they will be Mazon Creek nodules so they will take some time to "unwrap" while making repeated visitations to my freezer shelf. Looks like we might get rain here as well on Sunday so my b-day may be just as wet as yours (though likely much more muddy).

I was assuming crocodilian jaw with some busted up teeth--am I wrong in my thinking here?

-Ken

It's an edentulous dire wolf mandible, I think. Notice the diastemata between p2-p3-p4 of your jaw and compare with the one below. These two-rooted teeth, along with the m1, are represented by the paired alveolae and "pegs" in your jaw.

attachicon.gifcanis_dirus_p2m1.JPG

bow_down_before_you-960.gif snarge Harry, you are just GOOD!!! I see. My 1st photo has "indentations" on the front , one of which matches your photo. Do you know what they are? Is my jaw segment small for the species ? I had found what I believed to be Dire Wolf Carnassial but think at 32mm occlusal length, it might be too large for this jaw.

post-2220-0-09936700-1433450885_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ID. Jack

You mention something about a wet season...I don't understand, what is this word "wet"? The closest thing to a wet season we have had around here was a slight morning dew on January 13th.

It would sure do us some good to have a bit of rain. Why must you be such a water hog and share some with us. Although, I'm not certain how we could handle it. We get a 10th" of rain and consider it a monsoon.

So if I am to plan a trip out there sometime, I'll be sure to make it during the late winter months. By the way, nice tooth and Happy Birthday (belated!)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I see I need to look first and see if there is a second page to the discussion before replying. Way cool if this is dire wolf. That would be a trip-maker in my book.

-Ken

I see I need to look first and see if there is a second page to the discussion before replying. Way cool if this is dire wolf. That would be a trip-maker in my book.

-Ken

Mine also. Dire Wolf is a rare find.

My feeling was this was not dolphin (I have seen a lot of dolphin jaws) and then also not gator (the remaining snapped off stems were not hollow and not circular like gator). I was always feeling that this was mammal, and Dillo was the primary animal with Peg-like teeth. Not Dillo because these were not peg teeth but broken teeth.

A SHOUT_OUT to oldbones:

How odd that the teething that jaw seem to be in 'sets' of 2. I wonder what animal has such an array....

If only I had thought about the implications of what she was saying.

Well, it was a great birthday -- An interesting Meg, a large gator osteoderm, and what seems to be a Dire Wolf jaw -- pretty nifty!!!

Ha! That's so cool, Jack. :D I sure do hope it is Dire Wolf. What a fantastic season you are having on the Peace. Thanks for all the pictures...

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Happy belated birthday, Jack.

Congrats on the great finds. Now that your season is winding down, send some of that "luck" north, please. :)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

bow_down_before_you-960.gif snarge Harry, you are just GOOD!!! I see. My 1st photo has "indentations" on the front , one of which matches your photo. Do you know what they are? Is my jaw segment small for the species ? I had found what I believed to be Dire Wolf Carnassial but think at 32mm occlusal length, it might be too large for this jaw.

attachicon.gifDireWolf32mm.jpg

Thanks for the ID. Jack

Your dire wolf tooth is not from this edentulous mandible. Your tooth is an upper carnassial, a P4.

What seest thou else