First Ranch Finds Montana- Vertebrae?

Salvageon

I can't imagine these are vertebrae but they were together on top of the ground big middle then small. The first two have center holes all the way through and the smallest only a little ways. I can provide more pics as needed.

post-11867-0-61150100-1433452707_thumb.jpg

post-11867-0-19022000-1433452764_thumb.jpg

post-11867-0-60047900-1433452833_thumb.jpg

post-11867-0-51075000-1433452934_thumb.jpg

post-11867-0-89426700-1433453031_thumb.jpg

I don't see bone there; more likely concretions.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with concretion, and like the leaves showing in the background.

Thanks, they do feel like sandstone now that you mention it. As for the leaves I've found some ( maple?) a foot across. I Ding them has given me lots of work.

It is quite possible that these concretions (which seem to be pretty linear) could have nucleated around roots.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That would explain the holes. Could they have been in a burrow? They almost fit big to little like a cone. But that could have been the plant also.

Edited by Salvageon

• 3 weeks later...

looks like Orthoceras...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library