Has Anyone Found Any Good Megs In The Peace River?

sweeneyb

I am going diving this weekend in the peace river and have never been. I was wondering if anyway has found and good meg teeth in the river? Also I have never been diving in a river for fossils, so how do you know what makes an area good enough to search?

The Peace River is loaded.. just find a gravel bar, and fan.. I just use a piece of plastic from an old Tupperware storage bin.. Best of luck man! :-)

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

The Peace River is loaded.. just find a gravel bar, and fan.. I just use a piece of plastic from an old Tupperware storage bin.. Best of luck man! :-)

~Mike

You ever look in the gator holes? I am sure there has to be good stuff in there because everyone is afraid to go in them. Also is it pretty shallow right now?

Right now very, very few places seem deep enough to dive but around Zolfo Springs seems deep enough (4feet). For most parts you could use a mask and snorkel but I did see a very impressive gator hole that I wouldnt go in but that doesnt mean a fossil wouldnt go there. It was just below the Brownville boatramp downstream past the little waterfall and right when you see a big cypress tree in the river you will notice that you can no longer see bottom and it is 4-5 feet for about a 60 yard stretch. That was the deepest part of the river I have seen in the past 2 trips. Visibility in the deeper parts of the Peace River were not very good but you can and will stumble upon places where there is a great mix of depth and visibility but for a fact...right now most of the river is 4 inches to 2 feet deep. Have a great time and try to take lots of pics to post here :)

Here is a pic of a gatorhole just south of Brownville boatramp where it was 4 feet deep and dark and it is just downstream from huge cliffs so meg teeth definetly are there. Another pic of the river you can see it is ankle deep.

post-1280-1237513936_thumb.jpg

post-1280-1237514208_thumb.jpg

Right now very, very few places seem deep enough to dive but around Zolfo Springs seems deep enough (4feet). For most parts you could use a mask and snorkel but I did see a very impressive gator hole that I wouldnt go in but that doesnt mean a fossil wouldnt go there. It was just below the Brownville boatramp downstream past the little waterfall and right when you see a big cypress tree in the river you will notice that you can no longer see bottom and it is 4-5 feet for about a 60 yard stretch. That was the deepest part of the river I have seen in the past 2 trips. Visibility in the deeper parts of the Peace River were not very good but you can and will stumble upon places where there is a great mix of depth and visibility but for a fact...right now most of the river is 4 inches to 2 feet deep. Have a great time and try to take lots of pics to post here :)

Here is a pic of a gatorhole just south of Brownville boatramp where it was 4 feet deep and dark and it is just downstream from huge cliffs so meg teeth definetly are there. Another pic of the river you can see it is ankle deep.

Great pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!