Peace River With Mark Renz

Mango

I have been hunting the Peace River for a while, and doing well enough to keep me returning. Another forum member had asked me if I had ever been out with Mark Renz. I checked out his website, fossilexpeditions.com, and was impressed. I am a newbie to fossiling with lots to learn. My cousin from Canada was in town, so we decided to go on a trip with M.R.

We met up with Mark at 10am. 6 other amateur fossilers, tourists, and adventurers joined the group and we headed to the Peace River. We went on the kayak expedition. This puts you a little ways away from the walk in fossilers. Mark supplies the kayaks, shovels and sifting screens. , Bring water food and s.p.f.

Very fun day. My goal for the day had been to bombard Mark with questions about fossiling. Not necessarily to get secret spots, but to hone my techniques to hopefully come home with some better finds. I learned quite a lot and came home with some firsts for me.

Here are a couple of pics of the river, and my treasures of the day.

My cousin sifting comfortably. I was using the stand up and dig like a mad fool method. My cousin found more than I did, and doesn't have trouble walking today. I am very sore.

IMGP0331.JPG

Testing the underwater feature of my new camera. Oh look. A 2 1/4" meg is poking out of the river bed.

IMGP0330.JPG

I can't remember what the next one was. Horse? I remember Mark saying it was an old animal due to the visible wear on the tooth.

IMGP03321.JPG

IMGP0352.JPG

Here is a decent horse tooth.

IMGP03351.JPG

A first for me. Dolphin jaw bone.

IMGP0340.JPG

More firsts for me were the lower hemi's.

IMGP0349.JPG

We had a great time. Mark was an excellent guide. Very informative, and helpful with i.d.ing everything. Mark is very concious of the environment and makes sure that all his guests abide by the rules and common courtesies of fossiling in this area. Mark made sure everyone had a good time and their goals for the day were met. I would recommend a trip with Mark for amateurs and veteran fossilers alike.

Pentax Optio W60

Is you underwater feature of your camera something specially designed for your camera or is it something you made yourself???

Is you underwater feature of your camera something specially designed for your camera or is it something you made yourself???

The camera is a Pentax Optio W60.

Just got it. It was recommended by a fishing forum. Great for having handy and not worrying about it getting wet. That was my first underwater shot.

It has a lot of automatic settings like underwater photos, underwater video etc. Still haven't found the still photo fossil setting.

I don't take many pictures since that takes away from sifting time.

Pentax Optio W60

Speaking of underwater photography..CVS sells a reusable 35 mm underwater camera in a plastic housing for $16.00 It is totally openable and reloadable and it has flash and it works really good. When you get your pics developed you can also have a photo CD made cheaply so it can still convert to digital pretty easily.