Colorado Dino Nest

Fossil Claw

Sellor on ebay claims this is a Dinosaur Egg Nest Fossil From Riggs Hill.

I highly doubt it personally.

Doesn't look like any egg or nest I have ever seen.

post-16815-0-51394400-1433726564_thumb.jpg

This sellor has a hand full of fake fossils that are really rocks and concretions being sold a dino eggs and bones.

Wow. shake%20head.gif

Hope no one falls for that.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This guys is unreal, now he is posting with additional rocks he is trying to sell as dino eggs and bones that he had them authenticated by a local geologist and will include verification of authenticity.

here is the text he posted with this picture.

10 Fossilized eggs 2 Hadrosaur and other 8 smaller carniverous Dinosaur eggs , the two I was told from a local geologist that are Hadrosaur are the two biggest and they are roughly 5 by 4 by 3 1/2 inches each and the smaller ones range from racquetball size to baseball size and was told they were from smaller carnivorous Dinosaurs . They were all found at Riggs Hill in Western Colorado feel free to ask any questions also comes with paper from geologist verifying them

Anyone know if there is a way to get ebay to take all of his fakes down? With the claim of getting expert verification with the item i fear people will fall for his dishonesty. It makes all of us who buy, sell and trade look bad.

post-16815-0-80293100-1434106479_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This kind of thing really muddies the water for new collectors. Wish one could do something about this. Those are definitely not real dino eggs. This is insane. But one positive thing is some of those 'eggs' are obvious fakes...just hope nobody believes this guy. <_<

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, this eBay person is not the only person selling rocks as dinosaur eggs. I was recently once at a gem and mineral show, whose name and location are best left unspoken, where a gem and mineral shop, which will also not be identified, was selling oval blocks of reddish-brown mudstone as "shellless dinosaur eggs" for 200 - 250 dollars each. I was stunned as the person managing the booth noticed someone looking at them and started with great confidence into a spiel about how these ovalish, worthless, blocks of reddish brown mudstone are rare "shellless dinosaur eggs" from the Jurassic of Utah. Fortunately, the lady did not buy any. However, I was seriously conflicted about asking about it and decided not to as it would not accomplish anything useful. Not surprisingly, the same booth had five platters of Moroccan "trilobites." Each of these platters had a complete set of Moroccan "trilobites" artistically arranged about a "Dicranurus monstrosus" in the center. An identical example of these plates can be seen labeled as "3) trilobite ring-around-the-rosy:" in the Fake Moroccan Trilobites Wall of Shame. I had the same reservations about them as the "shellless dinosaur eggs." He wanted 500 dollars for each of those plates. It is astounding the rubbish and quite bad fakes that are offered for sale as real fossils on bays and by some rock shops. Unfortunately, then only thing that can be done about it is educating people how to recognize the rubbish and fakes that are out there.

Archived