Puffy Sand Dollar?

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

I won an auction on E bay a few weeks before Christmas, I got a nice set of 10 Trilobites from Morocco. The dealer included 3 free items to go with it, all small and relatively worthless... a Criniod stem fragment, a fern, and what he called a Puffy Sand dollar. I haven't gotten the package yet, but I'm never heard of a puffy sand dollar. Anyone ever hear of it before? or better yet anyone have a picture of one?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Well, Nicolas, I am not positive but think it may be a heart urchin like this pic I downloaded. This one is not listed as a fossil on the site I saw it on. This came up on a search for a puffy sand dollar.

post-13-1199326546_thumb.png

I have really never figured out if what are called sand dollars are actually echinoids or just close relatives. Imagine someone will know for sure.

I could be wrong also, hope not...

Welcome to the forum!

Guest Nicholas

Thanks, I'll be sure to post a picture of it as soon as the package arrives. Remind me to never ship snail mail again...

Will be curious to see it when it arrives and will remind you now, never use snail mail again! :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

I won an auction on E bay a few weeks before Christmas, I got a nice set of 10 Trilobites from Morocco. The dealer included 3 free items to go with it, all small and relatively worthless... a Criniod stem fragment, a fern, and what he called a Puffy Sand dollar. I haven't gotten the package yet, but I'm never heard of a puffy sand dollar. Anyone ever hear of it before? or better yet anyone have a picture of one?

Thanks,

Nicholas

Yes.It could be some kind of Clypeaster sand dollar family, but as I say IT COULD BE.They`ve got abig bump im the middle,and nowadays are not so frequent, due to the recolecction of it,and that normally are broken.They normally are found on Miocene-Pliocene sands.Good look with it

Thanks,

Nicholas

Here's one of my "puffy sand dollars." :)

post-15-1199366101_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Guest Nicholas

Thanks for the ID guys, I appreciate it. I didn't know what I was getting and it was beginning to eat away at me. Lol. Thanks again everyone. :D