Hunting For Teeth, Belgium

Hieronymus

Hi guys,

Today I paid a visit to Antwerp, the terrain over there looks like a lunar landscape right now.

Fossil diggers seem to move the sand better than the machines.

Anyway, I found nothing very special, mostly the usual stuff like meg pieces, hastalis, oxyrinchus, retroflexus, pieces of notorynchus (2 better ones), galeocerdo aduncus/physogaleus contortus, lamna nasus, carcharoides catticus, carcharhinus, some odontaspids like odontaspis reticulata, carcharias vorax and carcharias acutissima(taurus),...

No benedeni this time, nor a carcharodon carcharias or a hexanchus, hemipristis or complete meg but I shouldn't complain.

It's still better than nothing!

Enjoy the pictures, (sorry for the blurry quality of some of the pictures, it's evening here and my camera refuses to take detailed pictures with artificial light.

The pictures are taken from the more complete teeth today, I've got a lot of pieces to, but they go with the rubbish;).

Greetings, Jeroen

First pic: alopias (exigua?)

second: carcharhinids: carcharhinus priscus/acanthodon, physogaleus contortus, galeocerdo aduncus

3: Carcharoides catticus: two uppers, one lower

4: lamnids: hastalis, retro, oxyrinchus....

5: Notorynchus cepedianus.

post-1386-1237319475_thumb.jpg

post-1386-1237319522_thumb.jpg

post-1386-1237319546_thumb.jpg

post-1386-1237319583_thumb.jpg

post-1386-1237319612_thumb.jpg

It does look like the moon, except there are nice fossils and air to breathe. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It does look like the moon, except there are nice fossils and air to breathe. ;)

Wouldn't want to go hunting there without air. Would be a hell of a job in somekind of astronaut suit! :wacko:

Thank you for putting this in the right section!

Guest N.AL.hunter

OK, I hate to repeat what someone has already said, but It does look like the moon!! Nice fossils you found. thanks for showing us the fossils and the area where they are from.

Would be a hell of a job in somekind of astronaut suit! :wacko:

The sad thing here is that there are a lot of people on this forum who would be willing to collect in an astronaut suit on some far off planet, i know i would

Nice stuff, i really like the one cow and the catticus

I think you found lots of cool stuff. Is the tooth, Notorynchus cepedianus,

related to the nurse shark family? They look a bit alike.

Welcome to the forum!

I think you found lots of cool stuff. Is the tooth, Notorynchus cepedianus,

related to the nurse shark family? They look a bit alike.

Notorynchus are not related to nurse sharks. I do see where you might see a resemblance with the multiple conules or cusps to the teeth. The teeth however are mechanically designed differently. Notorynchus teeth typically are extremely compressed with the exception of the upper anteriors and the root sits on the top of the tooth. Unlike most species of shark the uppers are used for grasping while the lowers are used for shearing sine they tend to eat dead things. In nurse sharks the teeth are typically rounded and robust and the root kinda sits on the back of the tooth. The teeth can have any number of cones or cusps depending on the species and the teeth are used for crushing sine they tend to eat shellfish and stuff