Today's Trip; Northbridge Park, Charleston Sc

reddesilets

Today's fossil hunt with a few of the finds cataloged and posted:

http://fossilforay.blogspot.com/2015/06/well-today-was-fun-fossil-hunt-for-sure.html

I figured doing this via my blog rather than posting the tons of photos here would make it easier, I hope that's okay.

I'm not sure of the ID on most of our finds. I'll make another blog entry with more cataloged over the next couple of days (I hope). ;)

For now, gotta jet - lots to do before we all go see Jurassic World! :P

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Honestly I think you would get better / more reply's if you posted the pictures here. this is so a person could reference a particular picture. With that said, most all of what you have pictured appear to be either suggestively shaped rocks or possibly pieces of bone. If bone they are extremely water worn. What I saw, there are no teeth in your finds. The one you say may be whale bone is bone, but to small and broken of a piece to even guess what it may be from. The one you say is a snail, looks like a cast (internal mold) of some sort of gastropod. So yes it is a snail, so to speak. The ray "spike" bone, I don't think it is ray. It is very worn but it does not look like a ray barb, I think that is what you meant.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Thank you for the reply. I suspect most of them are rocks and we're seeing what we want to but I do know there are a couple of things, like the bone. There is another one that I hope to catalog and post that I swear looks like a tooth, but not a shark tooth... I also suspect surface hunting this close to the ocean where the river outlets is going to result in a lot of rocks and, if any fossils at all, broken fossils. Sticking to further inland is a better idea, but, my son and I had fun and we talked to two different men, a woman and her daughter, and another older gentleman that was impressed with the bone find, about fossil hunting, so maybe we planted a few more seeds. ;)

What you said about the gastropod cast makes PERFECT sense! Thanks for pointing that out. :) And yes, barb is what I meant. I haven't compared it yet, but when a fellow Fossil Forum member introduced me to hunting, he said we found some stuff and I could have sworn it was barbs but maybe not. That was some time ago now and I've been fighting off some weird migraine onslaught for the past two weeks. I didn't properly document the finds as we found them, which I should have done since I was so new.

I'll take what you have said here and apply it to the rest of the finds. I was glancing through them again while cooking dinner (as I had them drying in the kitchen) and I'm certain I can say with confidence that at least five more are rocks and nothing more. The ones I have questions about are the one that looks like a tooth from another animal and a rock with a shell impression, and I think a couple more. I will post those directly in the forum about getting help with identification.

Thanks! :)

"Direct observation of the testimony of the earth ... is a matter of the laboratory, of the field naturalist, of indefatigable digging among the ancient archives of the earth's history."

— Henry Fairfield Osborn

Sounds like you had a fun day, and the more we look and ask the more we learn. :thumbsu:

We had fun for sure. :) Our day didn't end as we had hoped as Jurassic World was sold out. Toby (my 8 yr old future paleontologist) was bitterly disappointed, but I've already prepurchased tix for tomorrow.

I'm hoping to go out every one or two weeks hunting for fossils at places I find as well as finding new spaces to look. My other son hasn't taken to it and opted to stay home today while the younger son and I went hunting. I need to make sure I find something to do with him this summer too. We do have a lot in common so it won't be too hard. :)

— Henry Fairfield Osborn