Gore, Va Trilobite Collecting

ReeseF

Flowers are blooming, school just let out, and it's time for trilobite collecting!

Gore is west of Winchester (without traffic, about an hour and a half from DC proper), with a well-known roadcut. We've gone there a couple times in the last few weeks, and have yet to come back empty handed--although Ohio is the next goal in July!

For the first trip, the weather was "cloudy" at my house and "sunny" in Winchester when I checked my phone, although it ended up raining the entire drive there--ultimately it worked out well, though, when a large cephalon greeted us in our first few minutes there!

post-15797-0-49530300-1434156703_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-60398800-1434156793_thumb.jpg

Our next trip had more pleasant weather, but fewer finds--several fragmentary trilobites, along with some other interesting invertebrates. Even though the site sees plenty of collectors, we did get a few questions about what we doing from skeptics.

post-15797-0-09001800-1434156925_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-20367100-1434156921_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-91147400-1434157071_thumb.jpgpost-15797-0-39238900-1434157081_thumb.jpg

Our goal for Gore is a complete, prone trilobite :P!

Edited by ReeseF
  • I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Classic bugs from a classic locality! :)

Congratulations on the successful hunts.

Thanks for posting here.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

What a blast from memory lane! Thank you!

My first few visits there, my Father drove me because I did not have a license; I made my rock hammer in 7th grade shop class...

There is more talus now, and more vegetation, but the fossils and the curious skeptics are the same.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 month later...

This is just across the street from the Gore Store correct?

Yuppers :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 1 year later...

Would anyone be available to chat or speak regarding this location and collecting permissions?

6 hours ago, VABCH Stacy said:

Would anyone be available to chat or speak regarding this location and collecting permissions?

As of last year it was still accessible and productive, but if you go after a good rain you'll likely have better luck :)

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 years later...

I just paid the road cut a visit today.  I didn't find much (a few crinoid fragments, a badly weathered trilobite pygidium, a couple of uninspiring molluscs), but the people in the store opposite were friendly and said I was free to collect there.

I also tried my luck fifty feet away on the highway road cut just above the Gore Grocery.  Although the shale looked promising, I found literally nothing at all.  After maybe a half hour I gave up.  I note that the shale above the highway looks very different from the crumbly matrix across from the Grocery.  Perhaps other locations further away from the highway might be more productive.

• 1 year later...

Visited today with my girlfriend. We spent the better part of the day in the Mahantango along US 48 and US 50, her finding this trilobite pleura was a highlight (not including all the Mucrospirifer casts we found east of Wardensville, WV on US 48).

FB_IMG_1621133385374.jpg

Edited by Nick G.