Ammonites And Trilobites From A Museum Gift Shop

Hi everyone!

I saw these in a natural history museum in Singapore and thought I'd ask around if these were real and what they really were. The saleslady of the gift shop wasn't really helpful in giving me information about these as she didn't have any other information other than that these are trilobites and ammonites. Is it possible to know where these likely came from and what their ages were? Thanks.

post-18669-0-38954100-1434185700_thumb.jpg

post-18669-0-09023300-1434185712_thumb.jpg

post-18669-0-70121500-1434185721_thumb.jpg

Morocco I would say and all real. :)

That first trilobite I have seen from Brazil also I think.

Jeff

The first trilobite looks like a Flexicalymene from Morocco.The ammonites reminds my of polished Madagascar ammonites.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Morocco I would say and all real. :)

That first trilobite I have seen from Brazil also I think.

Which one is from Morocco?

Awesome though. You guys can actually tell where these came from just by looking at them? Wow.

The first trilobite is a Flexicalymene ouzregui from the Anti-Atlas area of Morocco. Here is a link to a discussion of these trilobites elsewhere in this forum.

The second trilobite is likely a Coronocephalus. These come from China. Here is a link to an informative discussion of these trilobites.

The ammonites look like polished Cleionoceras that are exported in large numbers from Madagascar.

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG
  • I found this Informative 3

The first specimen (the Flexicalymene trilobite) looks like it has been put together from a head and tail of different specimens to make up a complete looking trilobite. Making “Frankenstein” trilobites from partials is a common practice in Morocco.

• I found this Informative 1

The first specimen (the Flexicalymene trilobite) looks like it has been put together from a head and tail of different specimens to make up a complete looking trilobite. Making “Frankenstein” trilobites from partials is a common practice in Morocco.

Is that a legitimate practice?

Is that a legitimate practice?

This method has no real place scientifically. However, giving that these trilobites are very common and usually not in great condition, it is a reasonable method of “fixing” a broken specimen making it sellable to tourists as items of curiosity.

I agree with FossilDAWG

The first one is definately a Flexi Ouzregi and a put together "Frankenstein"one from different trilobites, and a poor one at that!

These can be obtained quite cheaply and in lot better shape too.

The China one looks much beter to me

Pat