Large Bone, Large Vert .... And Porcupine Quills?

zoocosmolina

Good morning - well, porcupine quills seem unlikely but it sure looks like it...

After a particularly stressful week at work, I got to hunt a bit last evening to get my mind back into the right place. The last couple of trips resulted in much disappointment because I returned literally empty-handed despite the massive rains we had.

But patience (or stubbornness) finally paid off. I have to mention that these finds are much larger than what I typically find in that area, I am assuming the flooding has something to do with that.

I first stumbled upon this chunk of bone sticking out of the bank. Did not expect it to be fossilized but it definitely is. Is there any way to tell what this is coming from? There don't seem to be many telltale identifiers but I also know that there are some very sharp people on this forum...

post-2271-0-69811900-1434213359_thumb.jpg post-2271-0-00048000-1434213425_thumb.jpg

This vert was found within a couple hundred feet from the bone. Simply because of the size I tend to think that this may be from the same guy or gal. I forgot the ruler in my pictures, but it is about 9 cm across and stands about 9.5 cm tall.

post-2271-0-40935400-1434213445_thumb.jpg post-2271-0-39444000-1434213473_thumb.jpg

Lastly, after it started to get dark, I noticed this in the water. Seeing the 'lines' I was convinced it was man-made and the dwindling light made it difficult to discern much but the feel of it was clearly 'fossil'.

So, here are my 'porcupine quills' =) A more likely explanation might be fish bones. I should note that these are all individual bones held together by matrix alone. The matrix has a red tinge to it. This is a very exciting find to me, probably because I rarely see a fossil being so 'organized'.

post-2271-0-91452400-1434213501_thumb.jpg post-2271-0-30382200-1434213527_thumb.jpg

As always, I am looking forward to hearing your opinions on these finds! Thank you!

Can't speak for the bones but that looks like a partial mammoth tooth to me too: ) very nice

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

The first pic. no idea. Pic #2 looks like a partial Plesiosaur vert., nice find.post-3940-0-08964800-1434231980_thumb.jpg The third pic is a partial fish fin, either Xiphactinus audax or Cimolichthyespost-3940-0-50727200-1434232058_thumb.jpg

-----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

... The third pic is a partial fish fin, either Xiphactinus audax or Cimolichthyesattachicon.gifxiphactinus and Cimolichthyes fins.jpg

-----Tom

Well done! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived