StormJunkie

Found this in Summerville, Sc. An area typically associated with Oligocene fossils. An idea what it may have come from? Thanks in advance!

post-18410-0-80693300-1434284074_thumb.jpg

post-18410-0-61119300-1434284101_thumb.jpg

post-18410-0-71563300-1434284130_thumb.jpg

post-18410-0-00417600-1434284157_thumb.jpg

I really don't know what this is, but I think it deserves attention. I can't decide whether to imagine it as a fish or a snake. Probably neither.

Thanks Rock. I'd be interested to find out more. The concave side surely looks like a fish vertebrae.

Would anyone be open to the suggestion that there are two separate things here? Perhaps a fish vert. encrusted by something like calcerous algae. The algae could be modern even. Something along the line of Lithamnion.

• I found this Informative 1

Rock, there are two things that make me suspect of this idea. The first is not scientific at all. I haven't found any other encrusted, or embedded fossils in the area. They have always been stand alone in my limited experience. The second point is a little more meaningful in my opinion. The convex side is perfectly in line with the concave side. I know it is hard to see from the pictures. That said, I suspect the concave side was much larger at some point. The exact symetry of the concave side is still what I would expect from a fish though. Hmmm?

Here I am again being annoying: 'vertebra' is singular and 'vertebrae' is plural. Carry on.

HMMMM...... :zzzzscratchchin:

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Well at least you took the time to learn me Carl. Instead of just being annoyed. Thanks! :)