Thiesen Trilobite Quarry In Ok

TNGray

We visited the Leon Thiesen's trilobite quarry near Clarita, Oklahoma last month. We found a fairly complete set of fauna including six or seven species of trilobites.

Check out my report at -> http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/thiesen_quarry/thiesen_quarry.html

This pic is of the first four bugs I have prepped. The second pic is why I need all the practice I can get.

Well worth the trip.

http://nautiloid.net/fossils/sites/thiesen_quarry/thiesen_quarry.html

20150616_thiesen_bugs.jpg

20150616_canthis.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Ted! Those are some beautiful finds!

Wife and I got to hunt trilos at the White Mound site in Ok. a couple of years back. We only got one complete specimen but hope to get back there again some day.

Looks like a peach of a spot to collect... Thanks for the virtual field trip!

Looks like a good option if Black Cat mtn. is not available. Thanks for the report, you made some great finds and did a good job of summarizing your trip on the link you provided.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Great report. I'm motivated to go and I'm officially adding this to my fossil bucket list.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks for this , went to white mound many years ago say, 20 plus when it was a small mound, now i hear tell a hole in the ground.

Will have to give it a shot , after the rains go away.

Jeff

Wonderful pics and report!

Thanks for sharing with us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cool trip report. I'll have to add that site to my wish list.

Also, I want to offer kudos on your web site. Lots of great info on sites in there.

Don

The clarity of your pics is outstanding, even more impressive than the trilobites collected! What camera/ lens was used? By the way my first sentence was just a bit of humor. Your finds are spectacular.

Thank you for the great report about the Thiesen quarry. Great prep work too!

Last year I had the pleasure of collecting there and I had a great time. Leon was a wonderful host and very informative about the site, fossil collecting, and fossil preparation. He knows a thing or two about rattlesnakes as well.

I was able to collect several species of trilobites. The best one was the first one I found, a Kettneraspis. I had Leon prep it for me, and I was very pleased. It was the best find I had on a week long collecting trip.

I hope to return for another visit some day.

post-8913-0-70393700-1434595392_thumb.jpg

post-8913-0-01629400-1434595418_thumb.jpg

That appear to be the same species that I started on this afternoon. I hope mine is as nice under the covers!

20150617_ketternapsis.jpg

Very cool assortment of bugs. Hope your second pictured bug, a Dicranurus, turns out great.

My current prep techniques on these is:

1) Air pen to remove the rough matrix

2) Pin vise for most all of the matrix removal from the fossil.

3) A little wire brushing with care when needed.

4) Washing with dilute vinegar and a toothbrush, rinse thoroughly.

5) Final polishing with air abrasive.

6) Repeat 2-6 for hours...

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Those are gorgeous trilobites!

Here's the Cordania I prepped today. Its about 15 mm long. I must have lost a section on the right general spine along the way. Not a perfect specimen but not easily found anywhere.

20150701_cordania.jpg

Edited by TNGray