Megalodon

Alessandro A.

Here are some of my Calvert formation teeth.

post-210-1237597401_thumb.jpgpost-210-1237597410_thumb.jpg

post-210-1237597416_thumb.jpgpost-210-1237597421_thumb.jpg

post-210-1237597429_thumb.jpg

Wow on all of them but i really like number 1 and 3

Is that damage to the blade of is this tooth or is it a pathy

Unfortunately it's damage.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

In my experience, unheard of!

I know.......at the time I was such a rookie I didn't realize the significance of the color or the type of tooth. If you can imagine how quick a storm can blow into the Potomac with white caps and lightening hitting the river while I was trying to plaster myself to a muddy part of a cliff where it met the beach. It was raining so hard it created this mini-waterfalls and this tooth just was washed out by one of these waterfalls and landed on my foot. It must have been devine intervention :rolleyes:

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Here's a few of mine. A true extreme posterior from Chile, a midnite blue Bone Valley dagger, an unrepaired Peruvian specimen just under 5", the best Moroccan meg I've seen yet (although small) and a 4th row enamel shell.

post-77-1237598690_thumb.jpg

post-77-1237598718_thumb.jpg

post-77-1237598747_thumb.jpg

post-77-1237598802_thumb.jpg

post-77-1237598844_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

In my experience, unheard of!

Here's a white'ish one from WM they come out everyonce in a while. I saw a 5.5" one once that was pretty nice. The other tooth is from there as well and just awesome. Its hard to tell from my crappy photo but there isn't a serration missing from the tooth. Good gosh i miss collecting there :(

post-337-1237598800_thumb.jpg

post-337-1237598836_thumb.jpg

Here's a white'ish one from WM they come out everyonce in a while. I saw a 5.5" one once that was pretty nice. The other tooth is from there as well and just awesome.

Man! In the 70's, Westmorland just wasn't giving up those colors. Guess I quit too soon...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Man! In the 70's, Westmorland just wasn't giving up those colors. Guess I quit too soon...

The white teeth might not have been coming out but I hear the collecting back then was super primo

There are some really sweet Megs that have been shown in this thread !!! Here are my three favorites that I have found. The first is my first "big" Meg. It was found at the north end of the Calvert cliffs several years ago. The other two are from Lee Creek.

post-281-1237601338_thumb.jpg

My first "big" Meg from the cliffs - 3 15/16"

post-281-1237601350_thumb.jpg

4 1/8" LC Meg

post-281-1237601373_thumb.jpg

2 3/4" LC Meg

It is not an extreme posterior meg but I would be surprised if the front teeth were more than 2 1/2 to 3 inches. So there's my 2 cents worth.

Thanks Ron!

Does anyone have an extreme posterior then, it looks a lot like NS's????

Great teeth everyone! :cool:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

...I hear the collecting back then was super primo

That's the rumor B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The white teeth might not have been coming out but I hear the collecting back then was super primo

There was a 20 foot wide section of the bone bed exposed at the base of the cliff that was loaded with all types of bone and the occasional small skull. There weren't a lot of big teeth but there were lots of makos, hemipristis, etc. The largest meg I pulled out of the matrix was 4 1/2 inches and a creamy color. I was dancing so much that a couple of boaters pulled in to see what I had found. The white, mottled, and rusty looking teeth are from the Eastover formation high on the cliffs. They were pretty rare until there was a monster fall and after about a year of weathering they started showing up. I was collecting there with a friend and found a 5 1/2 inch lower black & grey & white meg on the beach that my friend had just stepped over while looking up at a big block of material that had fallen off of the cliff. Five minutes later he popped a 6 inch meg out of the same block of Eastover. It was a pale multicolored tooth. The tooth was about 5 inches wide and the tip was bitten off. It would have been 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 inches complete.

I'm not sure if this is an extreme posterior but it's the smallest one I have at 1/2" wide and 3/8" straight up.

post-281-1237603062_thumb.jpg

The first meg I ever found was a 4 1/2" "rust" encrusted thing with small, clear, cubic crystals on the root (some of which was missing). The darn thing was 1 1/2" thick! It came from a small, weathered fall, a half mile south of the park proper, which I suspect was Eastover.

I'm not sure if this is an extreme posterior but it's the smallest one I have at 1/2" wide and 3/8" straight up.

post-281-1237603062_thumb.jpg

That's getting real close if it's not one. I have one I'll try to find that is basically a root with a ridge of enamel running across the top. When I found it I thought it was a broken tooth.

That's getting real close if it's not one. I have one I'll try to find that is basically a root with a ridge of enamel running across the top. When I found it I thought it was a broken tooth.

Yeah, I'd really like to see it if you can find it!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

WOW!! Your collection in UNBELIEVABLE!!!

In my country there are big megalodons, but they are in the rock so I can't find them... Someone does know some "cheat" to find megalodon???)

Now you got me going.

Are these what you are thinking of?post-337-1237757606_thumb.jpg

Are these what you are thinking of?post-337-1237757606_thumb.jpg

Yes indeed. Those are about as far back as you can get. I looked for mine but I don't have a clue where it is right now. Thanks for posting those.

Wow! You really have a lot of twisty teeth. My favorite pathologic teeth are the ones with two symmetrical tips, but they are really rare.

Now you got me going.