Frty12345

Any Fossil Sites Near Tokyo, Japan?

Frty12345

Hey all, I might be going on a trip to Japan next year and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good spots near Tokyo? I would really love to get my hands on some Japanese fossils! :) thanks all!

JimB88

Make sure you check for any laws and/or regulations concerning collecting or bringing fossils out of the country first. Just saying.

Frty12345

True, I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Monchi3000

I m a Japanese and sry to tell u Japan got no fossils, because Japan was in seabed until 20 millions years ago, if u looking for fossil hunting in Asia, from the closest is China, Japanese really like go to China for hunting fossils and ores, or u can go to Mongolia and India, and Russia's Asia part for deal ur luck.

Edited by Monchi3000

JohnJ

I m a Japanese and sry to tell u Japan got no fossils, because Japan was in seabed until 20 millions years ago, if u looking for fossil hunting in Asia, from the closest is China, Japanese really like go to China for hunting fossils and ores, or u can go to Mongolia and India, and Russia's Asia part for deal ur luck.

FWIW :) 'Monchi3000', please refrain from using "textspeak" acronyms. It has limited value and understanding to a wide range of international members using translators and most other members. Thank you. ;)

Coco

Hi,

FWIW :) 'Monchi3000', please refrain from using "textspeak" acronyms. It has limited value and understanding to a wide range of international members using translators and most other members. Thank you. ;)

Thanks chief ! ;)

Coco

David in Japan

Hi,

I would like to nuance a little bit what Monchi said :

1/ It is true that Japan was part of the seabed however only a part of japan.

http://shinku.nichibun.ac.jp/jpub/pdf/jr/IJ1501.pdf

2/ There are plenty of fossil here in Japan.

A big part is sea related fossils but you have lake related fossils and even dinosaurs bones in Kyushu from cretaceous. They even found a Rex in Mifune (Kumamoto department).

If you are looking for amazing dinosaurs fossils, Japan is not as rich as China or Mongolia but you could find something great in Fukui prefecture or Kumamoto prefecture if you know where to search. Mifune's Museum is actually in partnership with the Montana Museum of the Rockies.

I should be able to provide you some address around Tokyo, just give me a week.

Just be careful, laws concerning fossils and in general laws protecting cultural "things" may be tougher in japan than in China or Mongolia.

David in Japan

I am so sorry for the wait.

Here is a list of place where you will be able to find fossils near Tokyo.

小笠原村 母島御辛之浜

西多摩郡五日市町三ッ沢        trias, ammonite and shell

西多摩郡五日市町館谷、天王沢 jurassic echidnae, coral,

西多摩郡五日市町深沢 neogene, crabs, urchin, shell

西多摩郡五日の出町岩井

I wrote it in Kanji so it is easier to find on japanese maps, and if you want to ask to locals.

Enjoy your trip, and show us your finds.