Large Peace River Canine

Shellseeker

I went "prospecting" today with jlar7607. Many of our normal spots are too deep. That was not the problem today -- it was mostly a day of shallow maneuvering -- 6 miles down and 6 miles back, with 4-5 stops. We found heavy gravel at one location, but not many fossils beyond Dugong ribs, turtle shell, and large mammal bones. So we moved on -- but came back to check again at the end of the day.

Joe and I each found a horse tooth, and he found a broken juvenile mammoth tooth and a mostly complete Meg but the find of the trip was this canine. Size is 3.2 inches long and 1.13 inches max diameter.

post-2220-0-31630300-1434852507_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-50919400-1434852527_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-09829700-1434852554_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-40687400-1434852589_thumb.jpg

Initially , I thought it was a jaguar canine because of THIS find a year ago. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46605-25-inch-predator-canine/page-2

The shape of the 2 canines is very similar, but this more recent one is really beat up. I can not make out an enamel versus root line for example. The biggest clue is in the last photo.

Great find independent of ID. I have been running HOT!! :meg dance: and I hope it continues!!! SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I agree.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Agree and thanks. You can see the wavy striations around the tooth rather than running down the length of the tooth. I find one of these larger whale teeth about once a year.

They all look different based on fossilization and wear/tear.

post-2220-0-41002300-1434912536_thumb.jpg post-2220-0-70973700-1434912755_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Neat finds Jack. It rained cats and dogs up here in Hillsborough county this weekend--over in Orlando area as well. Lightning not too bad today but had to stop mowing the yard and seek cover from the horizontal rain and wind....I'm a wuss!! Regards, Chris