Sign in to follow this  
fossilfev

Questions About Fossils In Warren County

fossilfev

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. What brought me here is I'm trying to find out what the heck I found over 30 years ago in Warren County. I will have to describe the 2 rocks with embedded fossils because a few years ago they were accidently thrown out and I'm sick about it to this day. It was in a wooded area, which by the way has 2 huge rocks. I mean huge you have to find a way to get on top of the one. Anyway, we hung out there 24/7 as kids. One day I was sitting on a log and digging up the ground with a tree branch. Nearly side by side were 2 completely different rocks. One was very dark gray, smooth, with a lot of shells (like snail shells) protruding out and some other stuff. The other rock was terracotta in color and had a bunch of what looked like clam-type shells embedded. I was 12 years old and never thought to dig more at that time. I kept those rocks all this time though until the accident. Oh the horror. After they were tossed out, three of us went back to the spot, yes, virtually untouched woods. And my how it changed in 30 years. It was very confusing at first but we finally found the big rock. I knew about where I was probably sitting. We dug around a little bit and came up with nothing. We left and never went back. But now I'm thinking that there was probably a streambed or whatever back there millions of years ago. What I should have done was started from the big rock and just kept digging across until I hit something. Now I'm itching to go back but I don't want it to be a wasted trip again. So my questions are: what the heck were the fossils of, why the two completely different rocks next to each other, is my theory probably correct about the streambed, and how long ago were these fossils from? Thank you for any help.

Fossildude19

Um... there is a Warren County in New York,.. and one in Iowa. Any hint as to which one you are talking about?

Regards,

fossilfev

NJ. Sorry about that.

Fossildude19

No problem. :)

Just helps with our speculation to narrow down what time periods we are talking about.

That is all you can really get from us,(speculation) without photos of the pieces. Sometimes, minute details are key to identifying species of fossils.

That said, the area of Warren County NJ. should have outcroppings of Cambrian, Ordovician, and Silurian aged rocks - according to THIS Geologic Map of New Jersey.

You probably did find some rocks with fossils, probably Gastropods (snails) , Pelecypods (Clams), and brachiopods (Lamp shells). Without more detail, or pictures, you can only narrow it down to the species that were around during the Ordovician and Silurian. (Have never heard of Cambrian fossils coming out of New Jersey.)

We also cannot rule out the possibility that the pieces you found were glacial erratics - stones deposited by the glaciers during the ice age, brought down to New Jersey from somewhere farther north. That could mean that the fossils you found could be from Devonian times as well.

Taking all of this info into consideration, your fossils were probably anywhere from 500- 360 Million years old. :)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

fossilfev

Interesting. Very. I read up a bit on the Ordovician times. The pictures I saw of those fossils are very much what I had. I never knew about "glacial erratics". That explains a lot. Could that be why there are 2 pretty big rocks...and I do mean big...sitting in those woods? If the fossils that I had were glacial erratics, could that mean that it would be very hit and miss to find more there? All your information did help and it also made me more ill that I lost these forever.

Fossildude19

Interesting. Very. I read up a bit on the Ordovician times. The pictures I saw of those fossils are very much what I had. I never knew about "glacial erratics". That explains a lot. Could that be why there are 2 pretty big rocks...and I do mean big...sitting in those woods? If the fossils that I had were glacial erratics, could that mean that it would be very hit and miss to find more there? All your information did help and it also made me more ill that I lost these forever.

Yes, glaciation could account for huge boulders in the middle of nowhere. And yes, if they were glacial erratics, it would be a bit more hit or miss finding more.

Being in Warren County though, you are not too far away from some very nice hunting areas. :)

Montague NJ has Trilobite Ridge - I believe those exposures are Devonian aged.

Over in Holmdel NJ, you can collect sharks teeth at Big Brook.

You are not too far away from Beltzville State Park in PA, where they allow collecting of fossils.

Also not too far from Deer lake PA, Carbondale PA, and St. Clair PA. All of which are excellent hunting localities.

If you join a rock/mineral/fossil club, you will be able to meet like minded people and learn how to go about this hobby, and get into some places individual collectors cannot access for field trips.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

fossilfev

Great! I will have to look into these. Thank you again.