Myliobatis Palate (selsey, England

fossilcole

Anyone interested in Ray palates? This one is a whopper and is about 85mm x 85mm. The biggest near complete palate I have found in over 30 years of collecting. This was found in a London Clay gulley at low tide on Selsey Beach, south coast of England. I think it is Myliobatis Dixoni. (Eagle Ray)

post-1392-1237503756_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1237504661_thumb.jpg

WOW! that really is nice. All I seem to find is smaller single pieces.

Great find, thanks for sharing.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"

Guest bmorefossil

haha it almost looks like the one i found not to long ago, i would say its from the upper of the mouth, how much curve does it have?

That is a really big plate for the time period. Most of my Eocene ray plates are only about 2 inches square or smaller.

I can't bloody believe that I lived in Chichester for nearly 10 years and didn't find out about that there were fossils on Bracklesham and Selsey beaches until a week before I emigrated to Texas!

Still, the fossils of Texas make up for it, I guess :)

Nice find!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

the individual little bars must have really loved each other to stay together for so long. it's touching.

Great ray grinding plate! I have not found any nearly as large and complete as that one.

I notice that you refer to it as Myliobatis sp.; How did you rule out the genus Rhinoptera? Here's a photo of a modern Rhinoptera bonasus jaw from my collection. Rhinoptera and Myliobatis have very similar dentition as I'm sure you know, but according to elasmo.com there is a way of differentiating the two genera, based mostly on root morphology.

jason

post-1000-1237518309_thumb.jpg

post-1000-1237518319_thumb.jpg

Anyone interested in Ray palates? This one is a whopper and is about 85mm x 85mm. The biggest near complete palate I have found in over 30 years of collecting. This was found in a London Clay gulley at low tide on Selsey Beach, south coast of England. I think it is Myliobatis Dixoni. (Eagle Ray)

Chris,

Personally I would have left it on the beach for someone to stub their toes on – quite horrid!

Wow!

Yes ofcoarse I am interested, I always am, hahahaha.

Regards,

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

I can't bloody believe that I lived in Chichester for nearly 10 years and didn't find out about that there were fossils on Bracklesham and Selsey beaches until a week before I emigrated to Texas!

Still, the fossils of Texas make up for it, I guess :)

Nice find!

Hi, check out www.dmap.co.uk fossils and look at the section on Bracklesham. Most of this section are specimens from my collection.

Cheers

Chris,

Personally I would have left it on the beach for someone to stub their toes on – quite horrid!

I was just removing a hazard from the beach for unsuspecting gastropod and mollusc collectors.

Great ray grinding plate! I have not found any nearly as large and complete as that one.

I notice that you refer to it as Myliobatis sp.; How did you rule out the genus Rhinoptera? Here's a photo of a modern Rhinoptera bonasus jaw from my collection. Rhinoptera and Myliobatis have very similar dentition as I'm sure you know, but according to elasmo.com there is a way of differentiating the two genera, based mostly on root morphology.

jason

Thanks.

All the other specimens from this area that I have seen are recorded as Myliobatis.sp . I'll have a look at elasmo.com to see if I can spot the difference.

Cheers

haha it almost looks like the one i found not to long ago, i would say its from the upper of the mouth, how much curve does it have?

It has a very slight curve.

I do have just a single bar that is 70mm wide and not as robust as this specimen.

• 1 month later...

jason

Pristiformes,

The plate shown appears to retain at least a couple of lateral teeth which is uncommon from any fossil site. The lateral teeth of Myliobatis are small, 4-6-sided, and attached directly to the much wider wide medial (central row) teeth (themselves much wider than they are high). In Rhinoptera the teeth attached to the medial teeth are almost as wide with at least two other rows of lateral teeth on either side. Isolated Rhinoptera teeth, particularly the medials, can be difficult to distinguish from those of Myliobatis. In Chondrichthyes II, Cappetta stated that the crown is asymmetrical in labial or lingual view in Rhinoptera (symmetrical in Myliobatis).

I have not seen too many Rhinoptera teeth and am not sure if I've seen a tooth plate.

Archived