Collected At Ridgemount Quarry

Paul1719

I took my son Ian to Ridgemount Quarry in Onatrio, Canada on Friday. It was perfect weather for collecting but the area in the quarry allowed to collectors has been pretty much exhasted or at least the easy stuff on top. Still if you move enough rock you do find things. I am looking for some help in id'ing a couple things that appear to be not eurypterids which we did find some parts and then a body which was abandoned by a woman whose kids decided fossils were not their thing. The first one I believe is a colonial algae? I would like to believe its cooksonia but that seems unlikely based on the size. The second one I can't imagined is a Eurypterid part, so what is it? Thanks for any help. I'm sure Malcom will be able to id in a second.

post-13618-0-61487900-1435507528_thumb.jpg

It certainly is a eurypterid part. It's the telson of a Pterygotus sp. Congrats on finding it! :fistbump:

post-4301-0-41531600-1435515803_thumb.jpg

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks Piranha! My son has been talking about pterygotus since our trip last year. So that is kind of a nice surprise. Now we just need to find the other 99% of it. :)

Congrats on finding pterygotus telson, it is a very rare find indeed. I am only aware of one other piece being found this year and last year as far as I know there was just a fairly large telson found.

The first one is a colonial algae of some type. Definitely not cooksonia.