Shark Jaw For Framing Fossil Teeth.

raptorclaws

I live about a thousand kms from the ocean and the nearest shark. I would like to get a shark jaw to use in a display of fossil teeth. Perhaps about 12 inches in diameter. The jaw with its white teeth would be the frame encircling the fossil teeth. Nothing permanent... just, when doing presentations, the jaw laid on the table and the teeth put inside.

I went to Ebay to look at shark jaws and am a bit bewildered by the number of species and the variety of choices. I'm seeking advice on what species of shark might be best for this. I can get a decent jaw for a $100 U.S. or so. I see some in this price range but I'm not sure which is best. Has anyone else ever displayed their fossil teeth like this? Any advice appreciated.

Well, I have accrued a fair number of shark and ray jaws in my collection over the past 10 years. I have never displayed or presented my fossils in that way but it sounds like a good idea to me. If you want to invest in a shark jaw you should first decide what species you'd like a specimen from, then see if that species is available, and what a nice specimen will go for. Since you're looking for a fair sized specimen of some 12 inches inner diameter, and have about $100 to spend on it, I might narrow it down to the larger requiem sharks, such as bulls, lemons, small/medium tigers, blacktips, spinners, etc. However, you might rather have a sandtiger. I would first decide what species you're most interested in (in terms of dentition) and then see if you can acquire it for a reasonable sum. I would advice against spending money on a curio type jaw of undetermined species taken from an undetermined location. I know the eBay seller cfried to be fairly knowledgeable with a wide selection of jaws that are usually correctly identified. Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest asking the seller where the jaw was imported from and I would label it with that info, along with the species name. It make for good reference material to compare with your fossil teeth.

When you get it, it may not be formed in the way that you like. No worries, just soak the jaw in H2O2 (3% solution sold in drug stores) for 24 hours or thereabouts. Then when it gets pliable take it out, run it under warm water, pat it dry with paper towels, form it the way you want, then stick pieces of wood inside it to keep that shape as it drys. It will take a week or more to fully dry.

good luck!

jason

I know I should have tried to get the ones I saw at the market at Tulum.

But the police and border gards in Mexico carry AK47s, they are not to friendly.

You think the laws up in Alberta are stiff, try fossil collecting in Mexico :faint:

I too have a collection of jaws and agree with what Pristiformes has said. How many and what size are the teeth you're wanting to display? I would think your best bet would be a large Dusky shark (Carcharhinus obscurus). I've also bought several from cfried with no complaints, but another good source is fossilsonline.com. Tony has a section of modern jaws with a wide selection and reasonable prices. In a shameless plug, I have a shortfin mako jaw (I.oxyrhinchus) for sale as well.

post-77-1237632370_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Pristiformes: Thanks for the info. Your's is exactly the type of first-hand knowledg that's great to tap into. I appreciate you taking the time to give some advice to a shark newbie (well, at least a 'modern shark jaw' newbie).

Northern Sharks, thanks for the additional lead. It' a positive to know reliable souces on the Internet.

I realized that although I have hundreds of specimens of shark teeth from the Devonian through to the Paleocene, I know almost nothing about modern day sharks.

Pristiformes: How flexible are the jaws after soaking? I have seen some really misshappen jaws and wondered if they could be fixed. Also, does this make the teeth flexible enough to be repositioned?

Pristiformes: How flexible are the jaws after soaking? I have seen some really misshappen jaws and wondered if they could be fixed. Also, does this make the teeth flexible enough to be repositioned?

Cat Shark, it depends on how long you soak them for. The object is to soak them just long enough to be able to work with the cartilage but not so long that rotting begins, or that the teeth become detached. It might take more than 24 hours of soaking before its pliable enough to work with. When its pliable enough, rinse it under hot water and pat it dry with paper towels. Then mold it into the shape you want and put pieces of wood, Styrofoam, balsawood, or similar material into the jaw to keep it from warping as it slowly dries. Position it on a table with a ceiling fan over it, so it dries fairly quickly. The repositioning of the teeth can be done after soaking as well, but is a bit more difficult than the shaping of the jaw. To reposition teeth, you can either cut the damaged teeth out with a scalpel and then fold the next teeth forward to fill the space, or you can actually cut some of the back teeth out and put them in place of missing or damaged teeth elsewhere in the jaw. I use 5 minute epoxy to glue the teeth in place for the latter method (moving teeth around in the jaw), while the former method should not require any glue but may need some wire to keep the teeth bent forward until the cartilage hardens.

Good luck!

I too have a collection of jaws and agree with what Pristiformes has said. How many and what size are the teeth you're wanting to display? I would think your best bet would be a large Dusky shark (Carcharhinus obscurus). I've also bought several from cfried with no complaints, but another good source is fossilsonline.com. Tony has a section of modern jaws with a wide selection and reasonable prices. In a shameless plug, I have a shortfin mako jaw (I.oxyrhinchus) for sale as well.

I agree that Tony Perez (fossilsonline.com) has some nice stuff for sale. I recently purchased a Echinorhinus brucus (bramble shark) from him with absolutely no complaints.

Is there anyone who will ship jaws, skulls etc. to Canada? I was also looking at buying a crocodile or alligator skull, but every site I visited said no international shipments.

Is there anyone who will ship jaws, skulls etc. to Canada? I was also looking at buying a crocodile or alligator skull, but every site I visited said no international shipments.

Shark jaws are not a problem (except Great White and maybe a couple of others) but I think croc & gator skulls have legal issues preventing them from being shipped internationally. All my jaws have been purchased from the US or elsewhere and I`ve never had any problems with customs.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Pristiformes, Thanks for the response. I am going to experiment with a cheap set and see how it goes. Thanks again.

I am not at all familiar with the regulations for Canada, but I would check with your federal or local wildlife law enforcement folks concerning such restrictions. I would also find the latest CITES lists online for species restrictions on international trade. For instance, white sharks and their parts are CITES listed, which restricts most international trade.

I am familiar with restrictions on the trade of modern sawfishes. All extant sawfishes and their parts (incl. rostra) are protected from international trade by their CITES listing (there is one exception: a permit process where public aquaria can still obtain the freshwater sawfish for exhibit though). CITES does not effect trade within a country however. In addition, the US population of the smalltooth sawfish (Pristis pectinata) is afforded protection under the Endangered Species Act and as such no trade can legally occur in or through the U.S. with perhaps one possible exception (if the item is well documented to be at least 100 years old).

...may need some wire to keep the teeth bent forward until the cartilage hardens.

Great, a shark with braces. What next; grillz? (There's an image for ya'!)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!