Sandy Mile Road Near Hancock

Adam86cucv

Adam86cucv

Is this site still a viable fossil hunting site or is it closed to the public. On this long weekend we had thought about taking a day trip there instead of the Calvert Cliffs area, since people will flock to the beaches. If it is still a good spot is there and other supplies needed besides a rock hammer (and safety glasses), cold chisel, and containers with soft lining to hold fossils. Obviously water, snacks, and sunscreen are coming too.

-Adam

With the current regulations, I would be very surprised if the quarry was still accessible. As for the ridge, you might try contacting the staff at Sidling Hill to see whether they know anything.

Adam86cucv

With the current regulations, I would be very surprised if the quarry was still accessible. As for the ridge, you might try contacting the staff at Sidling Hill to see whether they know anything.

I'll just checked Sidling Hill is still closed due to budget cuts from several years ago. Looks like Hancock's Town Museum/Visitor's center has some of the exhibits from Sidling Hill. I guess I'll have to give them a call.

The center is still shuttered? That's a shame.

My master's studies included fieldwork at that magnificent roadcut.

Adam86cucv

The center is still shuttered? That's a shame.

My master's studies included fieldwork at that magnificent roadcut.

My grandfather worked for State Highway and was up there when they making the cut for the road. I assume my grandmother still has the pictures of it in progress.