Shark Tooth Hill Finds

old bones

I have started hunting the matrix from STH that I received from ynot. This is some very nice matrix and is full of all sorts of teeth and fossils. Thanks Tony :)

Some of these are familiar to me, and others brand new. I need some help with this shark tooth please.

post-13648-0-69398100-1435793359_thumb.jpg

This looks very much like the photos on elasmo.com of Cetorhinus gill rakers. do I have this one right?

post-13648-0-48984900-1435793460_thumb.jpg

​ I reckon this is a dolphin tooth. The teeth in this matrix are very colourful.

post-13648-0-79433800-1435793564_thumb.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Hey Old Bones,

The third pic is a dolphin, :D I have not seen a tooth like pic 1 or the thing in pic 2 . ;)

Sorry that I can not help with the ID's any more than that, but I am new to this and can not even ID most of My own finds. :wacko:

Thanks for the kudos on the matrix, glad that You like it.

Tony

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Great pics and finds Julianna :) they do have some beautiful color!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I think you labeled your fossils correctly. The first tooth looks like a symphyseal tooth. Because of the large size and serrations it might be Physogaleus or Galeocerdo but a larger Carcharhinus is possible. Here is a good web page to see detailed symphyseal teeth (and other teeth). You can click on the back and forth button near the bottom to see other pages. http://homepage2.nifty.com/megalodon/JAWCarcharhinidae3.html

Hey Old Bones,

The third pic is a dolphin, :D I have not seen a tooth like pic 1 or the thing in pic 2 . ;)

Sorry that I can not help with the ID's any more than that, but I am new to this and can not even ID most of My own finds. :wacko:

Thanks for the kudos on the matrix, glad that You like it.

Tony

Tony, you have begun micro hunting with an outstanding matrix. It is very rich in fossils. And I think you are doing quite well in your ID research. :)

Great pics and finds Julianna :) they do have some beautiful color!

Thanks Jeff. I can't believe the colour of some of these fossils. There are some ray teeth that are bright orange and translucent...some tiny fish teeth that look like rubies,

jeweltone fossils! :)

Pic 2 is a partial cetorhinus gill rake.

Thank you John :) I am amazed that these can even be found as partials as they are so thin and fragile.

I think you labeled your fossils correctly. The first tooth looks like a symphyseal tooth. Because of the large size and serrations it might be Physogaleus or Galeocerdo but a larger Carcharhinus is possible. Here is a good web page to see detailed symphyseal teeth (and other teeth). You can click on the back and forth button near the bottom to see other pages. http://homepage2.nifty.com/megalodon/JAWCarcharhinidae3.html

Eric, Thank you for reminding me about j-elasmo. I had that site bookmarked, but had forgotten about it. It is an excellent resource for dentitions.

• 4 months later...

Al Dente,

I agree.

Jess

Hey Julianna,

Have You searched any more of this matrix?

Tony

Tony,

Not for a while... I have been working rather long hours, and have spent what free time I've had in the 'frog toe' matrix. I look forward to the longer winter hours (for me anyhow), to get back into more matrices. Be sure, I will have photos when I do. :)

:popcorn: for any of Your wonderful pictures and/or post from any of Your matrices!! Love them all!!

Tony

PS I recently found 2 really nice rostral spines in My STH matrix, and got a box of the "frog toe" matrix from Sacha.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 1 month later...